1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop's usb randomly doesn't recognize drawing tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DrDing, Feb 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrDing

DrDing Thread Starter

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or not.
    A friend of mine just got a new drawing tablet to replace her old one and she's having a problem now where if she opens a program to work with the tablet, for example Photoshop, the laptop will register the tablet as a mouse. Also Photoshop will sometimes crash on initializing. She has tried other art programs and the tablet is still acting as a mouse in those, so the Photoshop crash issue might not be related.

Sometimes the laptop will recognize the tablet properly, sometimes it won't. She tried reinstalling the tablet's drivers and it worked for a day or two and then started acting funny again. Even after a reboot or two.

Here's all the information I have:

• She's using the tablet in the same usb port as the old one, she believes.
    • The new tablet is a Intuos 2 graphics tablet.
    • The old tablet I believe was also a Wacom much like the new one. (she still has the old one btw)
    • She's using a bamboo create pen on the new tablet.
    • She hasn't tried cleaning her registry yet.
    • She hasn't tried using the tablet in a different usb port.
    • Her laptop is an Acer Aspire AS7741Z-4815
    • All USB ports are reporting to be up to date and functioning fine.
    We're thinking it's either the new tablet itself or the usb port it's in. I'm thinking it's not a physical connection issue because the laptop doesn't display a new connection message when the tablet starts working again properly, as if it wasn't connected and now it suddenly is. But, I could be wrong. Also the fact that the laptop is recognizing something being in there, but thinking it's a mouse rather then a tablet again makes me think it's not a hardware problem at least inside the laptop.

If you need any more info, just let me know. Any advice would be awesome, thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088860

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice