1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laptop's wireless connection connects to everyone but us

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ad3n, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

I recently picked up a Gateway laptop that's got a Broadcom netwok card inside of it. Currently, I'm with Bell Sympatico for an ISP, who gave me a wireless router. The two desktops I've got hardlined to it work fine, but the wireless connection on the laptop refuses to connect to it. So far we've been hooked into 2 other people within range, but obviously, that's not something I just want to sweep under the rug.

I called Bell's tech support and they claimed that Broadcom apparently wasn't compatible with their service for some reason and to contact Broadcom, who don't seem to have a 1-800 number nor a tech support e-mail; and there's no way I'm calling up California from where I'm at in Canada.

Bell's tech support is notorius for being crap, so I'm hoping that someone here can help me figure something out and get this all to work out.

If there's any other info you need, just let me know, otherwise thanks in advance.

ad3n

2. DBClark

DBClark

What make and model is the wireless modem/router?

Can you, do you know how to access the routers configuration setup page?

3. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

The router's a Siemens SpeedStream 6520.

And I've got no idea if I can/how I would access the router's configuration setup page.

4. DBClark

DBClark

While I look around...try to determine which Broadcom model you have in the laptop.

5. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

The Broadcom model is 802.11G, as far as I can figure it out, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing.

6. DBClark

DBClark

The broadcom info can be found in device manager under network adapters. Right-click and click properies...look and see if it gives a model number. I'm just looking to recommend the latest drivers if you don't already have them.

The link for Broadcom is: http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/downloaddrivers.php

Link to the manual, pdf file for the router is: http://www.siemens.com/Daten/siecom.../file/binary/6500_UM_007-6770-001_1274277.pdf

I will be doing a little reading in this manual....must say it is more involved than most that I have seen. Did they install and configure this router for you, or did you install and configure from a CD?

7. ad3n

ad3n Thread Starter

The router was personally set up with the CD they supplied. It was installed on this computer, but the other desktop didn't need it (it just needed to be plugged into the router. I've tried doing it with the laptop, but all of the options to set it up require it to be physically connected... which defuncts the purpose in my eyes. I'm going out to get a dual male-jack USB cord, since one of the install processes needed it. I'm hoping it was just for the install and after that it'll work.

But why would it be able to connect to 2 other people's routers with no modification, yet this one won't?

And I downloaded the appropriate driver package you linked to, but it just gave me a folder with non-executable files, and I've got no idea how to utilize them.

8. DBClark

DBClark

Since you already have connectivity on your desktops, you can access the routers configuration setup by typing http://speedstream into your address bar of your browser.

If you downloaded the manual start by following the instrunctions starting at page 23 of 98.

Be carefull not to make any changes that would make you lose connectivity. In the wireless setup configuration, make sure that it is enable, Create an SSID(network name of your choosing), and then set the channel to 1, 6, or 11. I use 11, but I'm not in Canada. Leave the wireless security off for now. You go back and set that up once you have the laptop up and running.

I'll be up for a little while yet...any questions/problems just post back and I'll be checking in.

9. DBClark

DBClark

You are able to connect/see other networks because your Broadcom adapter is picking them up...as it should if they are in range. If they do not have security measures in place then you can actually connect to and use their bandwidth, which BTW is illegal, but their own fault for not implementing some sort of security.

If you are succesful in creating your own SSID. Then your laptop should be able to see your network...and if so, then you can dictate to connect only to yours instead of first available which is usually the default.

You may have to power cycle the router after making changes, might be a good idea anyway.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice