1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

laptop's wireless connection is intermittent

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bigdan, Oct 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdan

bigdan Thread Starter

i bought a second hand laptop from a store. on the whole it seems fine, the speeds are great at home, no problems. however at the library, although it connects to the internet the connection isnt very good. it doesnt get good speeds and it doesnt stay connected for long. i assumed this was a problem at the library but others dont seem to be having the same problem. i assume the issue is that the signal exists there but its not as strong as it is at home, so people w/ stronger wireless cards arent having a problem but in my second-hand computer its an issue.

i happened to have a d-link wireless adapter usb at home. i tried that. exact same problem, i didnt notice any change in behaviour. i had taken my computer to futureshop the night before and asked them what the problem is, they also said they dont see a problem with it and i should try out a wireless usb. but no go. i dont know if its b/c i havent configured my wireless properly or some other issue?

if anyone could advise id be grateful.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

When you're at the library, run this and post the results here.

Download and run this Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector, click the Networks link on the upper left and paste a screen shot of that screen here. Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework. For machines with no Internet connection, download this NET Framework 3.5 Full Package on another machine and transfer it with removable media to the problem machine.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

3. bigdan

bigdan Thread Starter

im having connection problems again but i think ive managed to attach the bmp. hopefully it loads after i hit submit :)

EDIT - i see the pic wasnt uploaded. wow its been a huge pain getting this much done, neither photobucket nor imageshack were loading properly. in the middle i d/c'd on purpose once, and a while later i repaired the connection once. i took a pic after each time. so this is my third picture. i havent actually gotten disconnected yet (besides the voluntary one) but the speeds are ridiculously slow. im looking at my net work monitor and am seeing less than 1 KB / s most of the time.

anyway here's the most recent pic: http://twitpic.com/3119sz

EDIT 2 - managed to get the other 2 pix uploaded as well. dont know if this is at all relevant.

this was at the beginning (an hour ago): http://twitpic.com/311czu

this was after i voluntarily disconnected: http://twitpic.com/311d4v

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/958342

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice