Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Large amount of "hardware reserved" memory

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 ·
Hello, I recently had to replace my motherboard. I went online and bought the exact same one needed to replace the old one (which had burn up). So I get it in and replace it. Prior to replacement, I had no issues running any games or applications. Now I have high memory usage when playing demanding games, Call of duty in particular. I checked the task manager and noticed I have 8.1GB of hardware reserved memory. Now disclaimer, I have no knowledge of computers so I really need help. All I know is that that's not supposed to be that high and it's making it impossible to play certain games. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

specs:
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19043, Installed 20210430143918.000000-300
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 12
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660
Hard Drives: C: 222 GB (136 GB Free); D: 1862 GB (332 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-CB, s/n M80-C4006800379
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Screenshot of memory task manager.
Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

See less See more
#2 ·
cpu.JPG

gpu.JPG

Since you use your computer primarily for gaming, you should add another 16 GB of DDR4-2133 MHz RAM and run it with 32 GB.
It appears to currently have two 8 GB modules, so add two more 8 GB modules to the empty DIMM slots.

Submit an image of the Task Manager "Startup" tab so we can see how many entries are enabled and running.

---------------------------------------------------

#3 ·
View attachment 292703

View attachment 292704

Since you use your computer primarily for gaming, you should add another 16 GB of DDR4-2133 MHz RAM and run it with 32 GB.
It appears to currently have two 8 GB modules, so add two more 8 GB modules to the empty DIMM slots.

Submit an image of the Task Manager "Startup" tab so we can see how many entries are enabled and running.

---------------------------------------------------
I had never had this problem prior to replacing my motherboard. Everything seemed to run smoothly. I've searched for a fix for a while and went ahead and disabled most of the startups.
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Pattern

#4 ·
Reducing the number of entries in the "Startup" list may help a bit.
Many of them don't need to auto-start anyway because they can be manually started when needed.

I'm not a gamer, so I'll leave you with the people here who are to help you further.
Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------

#6 ·
What site did you get the motherboard?

Typically the hardware reserved being that high is due to incompatible memory, or possibly the BIOS needs to be updated. Let's do this:

To confirm the BIOS version, go to Command Prompt and type wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion and press enter. This will show the version number. Please notate that here.

Next, download and use CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID to find out and notate here the exact information on the memory (which is under the SPD tab, you will need to use the drop down to see the other memory)

Lastly, I wanted to make sure that you put the memory in slots DIMM A1 and B1, and they are fully secured?

Font Parallel Number Rectangle Temperature

#8 ·
What site did you get the motherboard?

Typically the hardware reserved being that high is due to incompatible memory, or possibly the BIOS needs to be updated. Let's do this:

To confirm the BIOS version, go to Command Prompt and type wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion and press enter. This will show the version number. Please notate that here.

Next, download and use CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID to find out and notate here the exact information on the memory (which is under the SPD tab, you will need to use the drop down to see the other memory)

Lastly, I wanted to make sure that you put the memory in slots DIMM A1 and B1, and they are fully secured?

View attachment 292722
sorry, didn't reply to your message specifically.

#9 ·
OK, that is a very old bios. I am wondering why would you purchase a 3 1/2yr old motherboard rather than getting a more modern board. Was this a used and or refurbished motherboard?
Here is a link to the support page for your board;
ASRock > B450M Pro4
Note asrock does not recommend updating the bios to the latest one if you are using a gen1 or gen2 processor. Your specs list a gen2 2600 SO the latest bios I would use would be 3.50.
You need to read all of the bios notes. You cannot update from bios 1.30 direct to 3.50; you need to update to 2.0 then update again to 3.50

The ONLY way I ever update the bios on an asrock board is by using instant flash which is the utility built into the bios. IMO using a windows based flashing utility is just asking for a problem.

Before doing ANY bios updates, make sure you read and FULLY understand the flashing procedure. While a bios update is not difficult, an incorrect or corrupted flash can render your board unbootable ie junk.

#10 ·
Unless it's the BIOS (and perhaps @crjdriver can confirm) that's reporting this but according to ASRock's site, the memory have installed (as listed per CPU-Z) is not supported (not listed) for the 8GB and for 1066MHz. I am not sure if the BIOS update will help but I suspect one of the memory modules is not working with this board. It doesn't show they are in dual channel too in those screen shots.

To confirm you do have them physically in the slots I showed you a picture of?

#11 ·
It is a pretty old board with an early bios. Those old boards were very picky regarding ram. On the support page under specs, there is a chart that shows where to install ram for each of the processors. It is different between a gen1, gen2, gen3, etc.

#13 ·
No, I meant the positioning of the ram chips. It can vary by what processor is installed. Asrock is about the only mfg I have seen that publishes a chart like the one in the link under specs. They [asrock] only publishes the chart for their AMD boards; the intel ones do not have a chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.