1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Large attachments

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by clskrk, Sep 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. clskrk

clskrk Thread Starter

Does anyone have a sugestion on a way to send a 16Mb zip file through Outlook express?
    Running WinXP, Internet Explorer, SBC Yahoo ISP.

2. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Why don't you upload it to a server and just send them a link? ;)

3. Alaska

Alaska

I have never tried it myself but this is from Outlook Express help:

To send large messages

Many e-mail and news servers limit the size of the messages you can receive and send. Usually this limit is one megabyte (1 MB) per message, including all attached files.

With Outlook Express, you can send large messages or files to e-mail and news servers that have size limits, by breaking the messages into smaller ones. When the group of messages is received, the e-mail program combines them into one message.

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
    On either the Mail or News tab, click Properties.
    On the Advanced tab, select the Break apart messages larger than x KB check box and then enter the maximum file size the server will allow.

Whether or not it will work I do not know, and if the fact that you are dealing with a zip file would make a difference I do not know.

4. jbcalg

jbcalg

the problem with breaking the file through OE is that the receiving end has to be able to put them together, so you need to synchronize it somewhat (ie oyu send one size, the other end can't receive them) - the few times i've done it, parts became corrupted and it was a waste of time

you can span zip files across a number of disks (winrar also has this feature i think)
    - save the spanned files, send them off separately, recombine at the other end

but a server transfer is probably best as the Wet Bird suggested :)))
    - try sending it through irc as an xdcc, just get on the same channel and do a private send

5. sekirt

sekirt

Just came across this free program. If you try it, post back with a report.

Quote from their web site:
    "File Size - Maileet can transfer any file size to its recipients. Even if your Mailbox size is tiny, Maileet cuts the file into small segments and manages the transfer. The recipient's client will download the file segment by segment."

http://www.maileet.com/

sekirt

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    From my experience, most huge file sizes are because of photos that are not reduced in size and sent in JPG/JPEG format.

A free utility called IRFANVIEW 3.85 is great for reducing the size and converting them to JPG/JPEG format before sending them.

By using this utility, I have taken many photos with a file size of 1 MB or larger and shrunk them down to 40 - 50 KB before sending them(or burning and saving them to a CD).

If the recipients are on 56K dial-up, they would surely appreciate this.

16 MB? Ouch!

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

7. clskrk

clskrk Thread Starter

I've got "irfanview" for pic.s and it's great., but I'm sending a vid.
    The "maileet" limits you to sending 4 files, 2Mb in size.

8. sekirt

sekirt

clskrk

There goes "truth in advertising" on the internet! :D

Quote from their web site:
    "File Size - Maileet can transfer any file size....."

sekirt

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice