1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Large C:\Windows\Installer folder

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by natv, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. natv

natv Thread Starter

Hi guys,

My C drive is getting full and I have 5GB of files in the C:\Windows\Installer folder. I google'd around and found numerous articles/posts about running a command "msizap.exe G!" to properly clear out un-needed files.

Everything I've found on properly deleting files from this directory points back to a download that used to be here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

which now has a note: "This article previously contained a link to the Windows Installer Cleanup utility (MSICUU2.exe). If you were directed to this article to solve a problem installing a product other than Microsoft Office, please contact your software manufacturer for installation support on the product."

(thanks Microsoft... do I contact YOU then??)

Does anyone know the current correct procedure to clear out this folder? Or if this tool is still available somewhere? (and safe to use on Windows 7)

Thanks

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I really don't know the current procedure to do it but I am sure if you Google Search for msizap.exe you will find out how to download it from Microsoft.

3. natv

natv Thread Starter

That's just my point, everything I found online points to that download on Microsoft's site, but it seems Microsoft pulled it.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

5. pubtech

pubtech

6. natv

natv Thread Starter

Thanks!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946162