1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Large files are corrupted when copied to USB hard drive from RAID5 volume

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by xcntalien, Jul 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xcntalien

xcntalien Thread Starter

Hi all - I have this strange problem that I can't seem to trace the root cause of; I have a number of 4.4Gb MKV files which I drag & drop from my Vista PC to a portable USB2.0 hard drive.

The copy appears to go ok i.e. takes a few minutes and then when I try to playback the file on the same or other PC with the USB2.0 drive connected, the file is corrupted (display goes blocky within a minute and various playback programs will stop playing the file).

Both source and destination drives are NTFS and have been working correctly until sometime in July. I have tried changing the USB2.0 drive policy to disable write caching, reformatting the USB2.0 drive in Vista (it was originally formatted on XP) and have run various diagnostics and can't see any errors on either the RAID5 volume (where playback is fine) or on the external disc drive.

I have no error messages or warnings that are untoward in the event logs and no error messages are displayed.

I have Vista SP1 and all current security updates and patches installed. My motherboard drivers are upto date. The system is a Foxconn G965 board with Core2 Duo E6400 and 2Gb RAM, Intel RAID and a Marvell Yukon NIC. No overclocking has been done. I have avast4 installed for anti-virus. Windows firewall and UAC are enabled. Power Options are set to high performance. I have no other problems to report.

I have tried a copy from the RAID5 volume to the external drive with avast disabled - I get the same corrupt playback. I will uninstall avast completely and retry a playback test. I can't think of any other s/w which could cause a problem.

I've searched around and can't find any posts on any forums that report corrupt files when copied to USB hard disc. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Have you tried a different USB device?

3. xcntalien

xcntalien Thread Starter

err..no - but the same USB disc can have 4Gb MKV files copied to it from my XP laptop and the file on the USB disc will playback without any problems...

4. xcntalien

xcntalien Thread Starter

I did a little test and used MD5deep to checksum the files - each time the file was copied to the USB disc from the Vista PC, the checksum was different when compared to the good file on the RAID volume. Each time the same file is copied from another PC (an XP laptop) to the USB disc, the checksum is the same as the file stored on the XP laptop and the Vista PC's RAID volume. This rules out the external drive being faulty. The drive is always consistent with either one or both USB cables plugged in on both systems. So this rules out power and cabling.

Are there any known problems with the July Vista security updates? The reason I ask is that the system has been stable until approx mid July....

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!