1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

large files

Discussion in 'Networking' started by peter kotar, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peter kotar

peter kotar Thread Starter

i have one comp with xp and one w/ ME. connected with belkin wired router. what speed should i expect transferring large files? can i improve it.? i think its like 45 minutes for 4 gb

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

That seems slow, should be around 8-10 minutes for a 100mbit connection, that's what I get. Since you're only using the switch portion of the router, you should get the full bandwidth.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

I've seen when doing a network transfer of a large sized file go slower with FAT32 for some reason. Only tested this on a few computers so can't say it's always the case but it was for the ones I looked at. For some reason NTFS dealt with this better.

4. JohnWill

I just moved two 2gig GHOST segments over my network to a W98 machine, it took 12 minutes. I know it's sometimes a bit slower, but I can't imagine it being anything like what he's seeing.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

peter kotar,

Just transferred a 4 gig file like you were using, on a 100 MB wired network from a XP computer with NTFS to a Win98 one. Times were about the same as you were getting. Of course you never really get the full 100 MB. Just part of Ethernet.

6. JohnWill

Bob, I have to wonder what is so different about your environments that it takes four times as long to transfer the same amount of data from an XP machine to a W98 machine? :confused:

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Curious thing was that with XP on both computers, regardless of whether it was from or to a FAT32 or NTFS partition (so I tested 4 times), it averaged around 7 minutes for a single 4 gig file (and this was on exactly the same hardware as the Win98 test which took a lot longer).

8. peter kotar

peter kotar Thread Starter

thanks for the response. im gonna go xp on the win ME machine, so this wont be such an issue. best buy had xp for like 40$ after rebate! it guess ill just suffer through it one more time while i back up thedocs on the me machine

9. JohnWill

Very strange... [​IMG]

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!