1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Large number of lof files created during search

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by preet_kumar, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. preet_kumar

preet_kumar Thread Starter

1) I have windows vista Home Premium. When I search for files, a very large number of MSxxxxxxx.log files get created. It is a nuisance to delete these files. Is their any way that their creation can be stopped?

2) I usually delete all *.log and *.tmp files (after I have run CCleaner) before shutting the computer.

a)When I put *.log in the search space, at first *.tmp files show up or vice versa. After some time the desired files show in the list. Is there a way to prevent this?

b) Some times files show up in the search list, but when I click on these to delete them, a message 'the file no longer exists in this locatin' shows up. why does the system show names of files that 'no longer exist' in the search location?

c) Some times a message appears 'you do not have permission for this action' when I try to delete a file. I could delete these files on previous occasions. Some times I have to run 'take ownership' 2-3 times before I can delete the file.

d) Some times when I type *.log in the search space. *.tmp list appears or vice versa. After a while the correct list appears. How can this be prevented?

I shall appreciate help with these problems.

Thanks

Preet_kumar

2. Sponsor

3. smittygeek4273

smittygeek4273 Banned

only one solution,

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

About point b). Sometimes tmp files are created and then erased, as the program that uses it just creates files temporarily for its own use. Depends on when you look, you will see these temp files as they exist at the point in time.

5. preet_kumar

preet_kumar Thread Starter

The files referred to in 'b' are *.log files, not temporary files.

preet_kumar

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

It could be that the log files are only meant for debugging use by the developer and he then erases those log files when the task completes succesfully.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/987979