1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Large numbers of Viruses

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Geezer77, Oct 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Geezer77

Geezer77 Thread Starter

My tools: Dell dimension, circa year 2000. Windows 98SE, OE, IE6. I do not use Outlook: too complicated.
    Yesterday and today large numbers of virus-bearing messages have arrived by email. They originate from a variety of foreign countries-uk, Japan, Russia, etc. Almost all purport to be from Microsoft, or an announcement such as a message that did not go through. Yesterday, 57 of them. Today in 20 minutes since I logged on, 30 and counting, with many more indicated from the server of my regional dial-up provider.
    Fortunately Norton antivirus and firewall have identified all thus far. Of yesterday's crop, all the viruses were known to Symantec and none needed to be sent in. All, of course, first quarantined and then deleted.
    It does take a long time to wait, screen out the wanted email (I receive from 10 to 20 per day normally, with 0-3 bearing noxious material), and is a stress as well as a nuisance. I have on each message clicked on my OE toolbar Message, then Block sender. But still they come.
    Have I any other way to get rid of this material in advance? It would be nice not to have to sit here like this.
    Thank you for any help you may offer.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You can set a message rule to have them all go into the trash folder instead.

3. normmork

normmork

An anti-SPAM program may help.

Mailwasher

K9

You can review your email on your ISP's mail server without activating macros, viruses, trojans, banners ect and delete unwanted email. Also setup filters, blacklists and whitelists using these programs.

4. BillC

BillC

Here is a rule created by Deke of this forum:

Go to OE/Tools/Message Rules/Mail/New/ Tick the first item "Where the from line contains people"/ Tick an item in the #2 box (You have a choice to copy, delete, move to folder, do not download it from server or delete it form server) you might want to set up a junk folder and put them there. Now click "contains people" under box #3/click "address book"/highlight the first name and scroll down to bottom of list and hold "Shift key" and click the last name/click "From" at top right and it will copy address to "Rule Addresses"/click "ok"/click "options"/tic "Message does not contain the people below"/click "ok"/click "ok"/Then click "Specified Folder(if you chose that option earlier)/pick a folder/ click "oK".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!