large tab-delimited text file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gazebo7

I have a very large tab-delimited text file that I want to bring into a program that will separate it into columns. Excel would usually be used for this but it can't handle files that span multiple sheets.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff

gazebo7

That's not quite what I was looking for. The files has too many columns...maybe ~700 columns. By span multiple sheets, I meant worksheets in Excel speak.

Jeff

Jeff,

Sorry, that was a bum steer. However, this worked for me as far as I could test -

File -- Open (the file).

In the Import Wizard, Data Type = Fixed Width. Next.

Set a column break right after column 250. Next.

Specify not to import the "2nd" column. Finish.

Then in XL itself, use Data -- Text to Columns, but with Delimited.

Repeat the whole thing twice for cols 251 - 500 & 501 - 7xx.

HTH,
Andy

gazebo7

That sounded like it would work but when I looked at the number of character columns, it goes over 4560 columns...ugh! The number of columns I was talking about was not character columns but over 700 tab-delimited columns.

First Name
Anne
How many rows?

What do you intend to do with the data after you get it into columns?

First Name
Anne
Ouch!!

You need to pull it into Access, def'ly.

If you can't figure it out, can you send the file? (zip of course)

[email protected]

Oh...and I SWEAR confidentiality.

I'm not sure where
>> How many rows?
is going, nor
>> You need to pull it into Access, def'ly.
, Access has less columns.

To quote a true Excel genius, "the last 3 versions of Quattro Pro provide over 18,000 columns ... there are work-arounds, but they're as efficient as transporting thousands of tons of coal in sportscars".

I'd love to be enlightened -- by anybody.

Rgds,
Andy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online