1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Larger area scanners

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by fenderjaguar, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Thread Starter

does anyone know if it's possible to get scanners that have a bigger scanning area than the normal A4 size paper ones? like, say an area of about 40cm x 50cm?

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

3. acraftylady

acraftylady

I'll take the $30,000 one. I think there are programs that will let you scan something big in parts and then piece it back together but not sure then how you print it but it might be a lot cheaper that way. Maybe someone can suggest sucha a program or elaborate on this.

4. fenderjaguar

fenderjaguar Thread Starter

i could piece together a flat document easily. but what i'm scanning isn't a 2 object. i've been doing scans of certain things and the results have been better than any camera (for scale to scale purposes). and i was just wondering if i could get a scanner a little bigger. why the hell are they so expensive just for that extra little bit of width? jeez.

5. acraftylady

acraftylady

Those are probably industrial scanners. Not sure if you can get something a little bigger for the home. I would search over at www.bhphoto.com and see if they have anything. There are also scanners that are called pen scanners and you move it over the text to scan but not sure if it works for photos. I know I have seen them before and I think they are about the same price as a regular flat bed scanner or at the most $200 so do a search.

In searching I came across info that says as the page length increases the quality is degraded and you need other software to view and print. I don't know but look at this.

software

6. uly7

uly7

Try your nearness college or university. Most schools have one or more, plus is not that expensive.
    Uly7

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Well, you never said that you wanted a cheap one fenderjaguar.

If there are "consumer model" ones out there Google will find them.

Use "large format scanner" as the search string.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!