1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Largest compatible hard drive for IBM 380XD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by computersarecool, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. computersarecool

computersarecool Thread Starter

The small hard drive thats currently inside this laptop is very small, and I was wondering what the largest compatible hard drive I can use is.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Your laptop was designed to run on Win 95, What operating system are you currently running?

3. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    According to the specs I could find the largest Hdd supported is a 6.4Gb hdd. You would have a very hard time time finding a drive with the right interface of that size. Of course the specs are old, but it lists the highest version of windows you could upgrade to is Windows XP if you have at least 64MB ram. Even at that it would be slow.

4. computersarecool

Its currently running Windows 98. I'm aware that I wouldn't be able to do anything real on it, but its still fun to tinker with.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I haven't used Win 98 in years but I do know that I was at the time running a 15GB drive on Win 98. so it would be down to the Limits of the Motherboard in that particular laptop and your ability to find a drive with the right interface. And that my friend is going to be tricky. It would probably take an IDE drive. the question then is the physical size of the drive. Reading the specs you can access the drive with out taking it to a shop. so it would be easy to find out if it is a 3.5 inch drive or a 2.5 inch drive. Then you could look on eBay to see if any are available.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I would imagine that it would take a 2.5 IDE drive and capacity of 32Gb.

7. computersarecool

Thank you for your input guys. In all honesty, its so weird to be using a laptop that was made the year I was born. I'm also not sure if its weird that I want to buy some floppy disks for it. I've been trying to get a 3com ethernet card working on it, but even after installing the driver its claiming it has no driver, so I need to look into that. But if I do go through the trouble of installing the driver, I think I want to do the hard drive first, then reinstall 98. I know its compatible with ME, but I don't want to use that for obvious reasons.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    From the reviews I read it can run XP, but it would not run it well. Also as with Win 98 getting the needed updates is going to be nearly impossible. And with my thankfully limited experience with Win ME I totally agree with you.

You can look here http://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/380xd.html for the necessary drivers to see if the Ethernet driver is included. Frequently for older systems some manufacturers included the Ethernet in the Chipset drivers.

9. computersarecool

I do believe I want to max out the RAM on it. It can go up to 96 MB.

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  11. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It will go higher with a single 128mb 144pin edo sodimm and google will find them.
    64mb ones seem to be quite cheap.

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would try Ebay for that old ram.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice