1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Laserjet ink warning - replace straight away or wait till it stops?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by OM2, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I have a Dell laserjet

I got a warning saying one of the inks was low
    With inkjet, I know you're not supposed to continue printing - the print head will go

Is it a similar thing with laserjets?

Thanks

OM

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

@cwwozniak my bad - i meant to say laser printer
    i never knew hp trademerked 'laserjet' - u learn something new every day

the printer i have is a Dell 1760NW
    good printer (when it hasn't lost connection to the wireless)
    the toners for it should only be bought if u are super rich
    else, the price of compatibles is super cheap (why i bought)

let me know if u can advise on replacing the toner
    should i wait until it refuses to print? or replace asap!!?

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I could not find any information on a Dell 1760NW printer, but I did find a PDF file for user manual for a Dell C1760NW printer. Reading that manual shows that the printer may still try to print when you have run out of toner, but does not warn of any possible damage. You may want to have replacement toner cartridges ready for when a cartridge actually becomes empty. If a given toner color is missing from only part of a printed page, you may want to try removing the given cartridge, redistributing the remaining toner in at, and putting it back in the printer.

Does the "warning saying one of the inks was low" actually use the word "ink" or does it say "toner"? Toner and ink are not the same thing.

5. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

@cwwozniak thanks for the reply
    erm...i'm sure the model i have is the one u mentioned :)
    i think i must have missed the c
    the warning says: warning, black toner coming to the end of its life - never seen a warning like that before

i'll keep using and printing - i have the replacement handy

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can keep printing until the print quality deteriorates or until the printer refuses to use the cartridges. Then you could try taking out the cartridge and gently shaking it horizontally to even out the toner and see if you get some more pages out of it. On a laser printer the low warning may kick on at 5 or 10% but that still may be good for several hundred pages. There is no harm in using a toner cartridge until it is no longer usable, replacing it sooner is a just throwing out money. The warning is just that, a warning to purchase and have a replacement ready when it does run out.

Also, I would also give the same advice for ink based printer, especially for the ones what have the ink cartridge and print head integrated as one, the only harm you could do to one of those is if it dries out and clogs the print head...but if its one unit then its not a problem since you are replacing that anyways with a new cartridge. Where you have to be a little careful are the ink printers where the print head is not part of the ink cartridge but built into the printer or a separate part, on those you should not let the print head dry out but again you can keep using it if it's just a low.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!