1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Last call for fix ideas(power/board issue?)....before I get a new board (Long Thread)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tag444, Dec 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tag444

tag444 Thread Starter

amd xp 1700(palomino) on a ga-7vt600, winxp sp2

i upgraded video/ram in my computer and now i can't even get the old(what was replaced) stuff to work. here's a few things to list:

install new vid card, update drivers/settings, reboot no picture to monitor.
    unistall/reinstall card, boot and monitor has picture.
    install another gig of ram, boot no picture.
    take new ram out, boot no picture.
    take new card out, put new card in, boot no picture.
    take new card out, put old card in, boot no picture.
    take all memory out, try known good stick in all slots, boot and no picture.
    put all back in, boot, no picture.
    turn power on and watch the led fans run on my 15lb paper weight.

it's a never ending combination that i've tried here and i cannot get a picture on this monitor. i've swapped monitors around and all are good, i've put components from this computer into another computer and they all worked. something is not letting this thing boot up, i get no picture to the screen and no beeps sounds or anything else, i turn the computer on and you hear the fans, hard drives, and burners powering up and everything, but there is no picture going to the monitor. it sounded like bad memory because i ran into a case of that before but all the components still work when placed into the other computer. my last guess is the board has gone sour. i was reading other posts and people have mentioned the power supply, but where do i check that at? it's a codegen 350w ps, came with the case which was also made by gigabyte i'm assuming since it is stamped all over the place.

if i can't find help with that problem then how about some suggestions for a new board since my options have opened up some because i've been told my pc3200 sticks will work on board that are rated below that, they just have to be able to take 1gb per slot.

here's the components
    1 - amd xp 1700+ palomino socket a (462)
    1 - maxtor 100gb hd
    1 - maxtor 250gb hd
    1 - 16x dl dvd r/rw drive
    1 - 52x32x52 cd r/rw drive
    1 - floppy drive
    1 - 128mb ddr (pci) nvidia geforce 4000mx
    1 - 32mb savageIII (agp) (will probably be placed in storage)
    2 - 1gb pc3200 400mhz ddr sdram
    1 - 256mb pc3200 400mhz ddr sdram

i'm leaning toward an asus board but the abit's are cheaper and i won't be asking a lot out of the computer except reliabilty.

sorry for the long thread but i can't think of anything else that would be wrong except board or power supply. tia for your help.

- tag.

2. Randolf34

Randolf34 Banned

If you didn't take esd precautions when handling and installing components, you may
    have damaged memory as well as cards. The two likely items could be the supply or a
    faulty video circuit on the board itself. The no beeps should suggest supply or bios as
    the main concern however without ruling another type like bad capacitors in either the
    supply or on the board.

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Whoa! Does that card have to outlets in the back?

4. tag444

tag444 Thread Starter

nah, static free and grounded. cards and mem are fine, work in my other computer. the card has a vga and s-viedo outlet on the back. like i said i'm stumped. would a dmm work to check the power supply? would i need to check output at each connector to the hardware? ugh, capacitor, there's a lot of them on there. i think i have a tester for that, i used it to diagnosis air conditioning capacitors on the units, is that too big compared to what is on the board to check?

5. Randolf34

Randolf34 Banned

One suggestion may be to try clearing the cmos itself. If the battery was weak or the
    memory timings or voltages were somehow altered, such as with overclocking, a black
    screen is just what you would see upon powerup or rebooting after a bios change. The
    process of popping out the battery, moving a jumper over one pin and back again only
    takes a few minutes but saves aggravations. Give this a try to see if defaults return.

6. tag444

tag444 Thread Starter

okay, i reset the cmos and now the board won't even power up. actually nothing will power up. any ideas?

7. Randolf34

Randolf34 Banned

Is the battery good? Did you place the jumper back after moving it to clear the cmos?
    Did you clear the cmos with the correct jumper? First if the battery was gone, a whole
    number of issues would come up. The second is to make sure the jumper is returned to
    it's original default position. The third requires reviewing the board's manual to locate a
    jumper's exact position on the board. Recheck the above items to verify.

It's often too easy to forget just one thing. Try these and post results.

8. tag444

tag444 Thread Starter

it started up again, but no display like before. the manual said i didn't need to use a jumper, just unplug the battery and unplug the ac cord and let sit for ~10 minutes. i'm going to do it again but use a jumper this time and see if that will work for it.

9. qldit

qldit

Check the battery voltage is 2.8 volts or better. The battery in some cases can cause a similar problem. (no powerup)
    If the thing appears to be running, all the fans and drives etc, are you aware that a low voltage rail can cause the machine not to allow the video display to operate, almost like a load shedding kind of thing.
    If you have a simple PCI video card it is best to use for troubleshooting because it uses virtually no power whereas an upmarket type is "power hungry".
    You may have one stick of RAM with a problem, selectively alternate tries with only one stick fitted.
    Ensure your speaker is fitted properly, booting with no RAM fitted should give a sound.
    Have you tried turning on with all drives and non-essential cards completely removed from the board and power source.
    In this case we are only observing for onscreen activity.
    If nothing happens in a minimal condition try the M/board on a table top with minimal components away from the case.
    At a guess it actually has all the symptoms of a power supply drooping voltage rail.
    This is easiest checked by using another known good supply.
    Cheers, qldit.

10. Randolf34

Randolf34 Banned

Generally you always unplug the power regardless of why you go inside a case. But a
    strict reference to the manual's guidelines is needed for a certainty. On some boards,
    you remove the battery itself first and then move the jumper over one pin briefly. But,
    it will depend on the make and model.

After you unplug the supply, push the power button to discharge any remaining charge
    in the capacitors both in the supply and on the board. Then remove the battery. Check
    the battery with a multimeter if you have one to see if that is still good. A weakened or
    dead battery will give you some headaches.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/423093

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice