1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Latency Spikes - Want to the cause

Discussion in 'Networking' started by WaRe, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WaRe

WaRe Thread Starter

In recent weeks for online gaming i have experienced some very odd and a very reoccuring problem. My internet (lag/Latency) has been spiking During online Game play.

Game in question, Halife Mod - Natural Selction (use Steam to connect)

Router Wireless N Gaming Router Linksys - Opened the Forwarding ports needed to run
    halflife directly on the router, even tho it automatically does it for you.

No virus's/trojans/spyware as of yesturday.

My Latency connection starts off at 20-30 connection ping. Then i spike above 300+ every few seconds.

My question is, how do i find out what is causing that spike? Or if something is running in the background and sending out information, how do i determine what is doing it?

Any help is appreciated
    Dennis

2. bboy_cero

bboy_cero Banned

Do you have a firewall?

3. WaRe

WaRe Thread Starter

Windows Firewall enabled

4. Pollex

Pollex

If you check your firewall logs, you should be able to see any extra activity attempting to come or go from your computer.

You could also try running a selective startup from your msconfig (open "msconfig" with the "run" application) which is on the general tab when you first open msconfig.
    Then click on the startup tab and choose "Disable all". Apply and OK, restart is required.
    Click ok on the message when you reboot.
    Attempt your connection and watch for spikes.
    If they are fixed, some startup app is affecting you, and if not, go back into msconfig and re-check the "Normal Startup" box and click ok to restart again back in normal mode.

Do you have any anti-spyware / virus/ etc running at the same time? And what about Windows Updates?
    Alot of software will try to update itself, or at least look for updates, without asking for permission.

5. bboy_cero

bboy_cero Banned

Or just install another firewall, I don't trust windows firwalls too much.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757875

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice