1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Latest BIOS or earlier too?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by CapriAnupam, Aug 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CapriAnupam

CapriAnupam Thread Starter

I had a query. My cousin has an HP Pavilion dv4-1318TU laptop.

I wanted to update the BIOS as current BIOS is really old, and since then 4 BIOS updates have been made available, which fix many things. My query is, should I download and install just the latest BIOS, or should I install the previous versions first, since each version fixed somethings.

Will the fix for the previous version be there in the latest BIOS? Logically, it should be so, but I was just wondering, and wanted to be sure.

Here are the changes in BIOS:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...ies/3884598/model/3962753/swItemId/ob-84257-1

Please look under Revision History.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    There is nothing wrong with using an old BIOS!!! (Same with drivers). If the hardware is working, let it alone.

Is the laptop having any issues? If not, let the BIOS alone.

I've owned 16 computers so far and I've only updated a BIOS on two computers. On one of the computers, I was instructed by the manufacturer to update the BIOS. (I bought a laptop with ME and to be able to update it to XP, I had to update the BIOS). The other laptop got a black screen when I tried to install Windows 2000. I looked at the text files that accompanied the various BIOS versions and found the one BIOS that fixed the "you get a blackscreen when trying to install Windows 2000" issue.

Since a bad BIOS can make a computer useless, it's best not done unless there is a problem with the computer.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

all BIOS updates are cumulative
    The latest always includes all previous BIOS/firmware updates
    Very occasionally and I mean VERY occasionally the latest cannot be installed until a given previous one has been but the update will always include such warning if it applies

ON that computer the latest BIOS is F66. A
    Fixes an intermittent issue where the system cannot detect that the AC adapter is plugged in.

F.65 Rev. A
    • Fixes an issue where an error message that states, "Product Information not valid" is displayed during system startup (boot).
    • Fixes an intermittent issue where the Brightness Adjustment hotkeys (Fn+F7 and Fn+F8) do not function properly

F.61 Rev.
    Fixes an issue where the battery LED indicator does not flicker if the battery is trickle charging

F.55 A
    • Updates the Computrace OPROM to support the next generation of Microsoft Windows Operating Systems.

• Fixes an intermittent issue where the following buttons do not respond (notebooks/laptops may have some or all of the buttons that follow): Skip Back/Rewind, Play/Pause, Skip Forward/Fast Forward, Stop.

• Fixes an intermittent issue where the system stops responding (hangs) when booting to a Microsoft Windows Operating system.

• Fixes an intermittent issue where the system stops responding (hangs) in DOS edit mode when a USB mouse is attached and a driver is loaded.

• Fixes an intermittent issue where the system stops responding (hangs) when running the Futuremark 3DMark Software.

• Fixes an intermittent issue where the system may not boot from a USB CD-ROM drive.
    SO the important question is which do you have and if you are not flashing to address one of the reasons for the updates then it probably is not worth the risk.
    Usually BIOS/firmware flash (update) are done only to address specific definite problems, not to simply have the latest BIOS

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    CapriAnupam likes this.
  4. CapriAnupam

CapriAnupam Thread Starter

Thank you @Macboatmaster , just the answer I was looking for :).

@plodr , yes, I know about the dangers of BIOS update, but as you can see from the Revision History, there are a number of important fixes which the BIOS updates fix, and therefore, I do want to go for this one.

Laptop was also having issues of not booting up at all, or running for a while, and then having blue screen, after which it again didn't boot. I took out the two sticks of RAM one by one, and with one of the RAM it has been booting and running fine. Still, I think BIOS update would be good.

I have performed quite a number of BIOS updates, and I should say that the modern BIOS updates are much better and safer than before. Majority of them can be run from Windows itself.

Also, I read on HP site, that they have alternatives in case the BIOS becomes corrupt and the system does not boot. Therefore too, I am willing to go ahead.

Thank you for your reply :).

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1194624

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice