1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Latest OS for Pentium II Processor?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oldjunk, Sep 29, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Found a 1999 Dell Dimension V-400 last Tuesday in the trash. Everything was complete, installed and works well. It has a Pentium II, 400 MHz processor. It's currently running Windows 98 with 384 MBs of RAM.

What is the most modern OS that will run well on this machine? Will it run Windows 7 or 8.1? What other considerations should I take into account?

I know it won't preform like a modern machine, but it reminds me of my first experience with computers and I'd like to keep it for nostalgic reasons.

Attached Files:

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    It might run XP.

Windows 7 or 8.1 probably wouldn't install and even if they did they would be very very slow.

Puppy Linux should be worth a try.

3. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    XP is no longer supported and may not even run well. Newer versions might not work at all.
    Puppy Linux is fun and light.
    There are lightweight versions of MINT linux as well.
    If you don't hook it up to the internet, then you can keep running windows 98.
    https://itsfoss.com/lightweight-linux-beginners/

oldjunk likes this.
  4. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, Sean. Those last two may work pretty well. Will they get me on eBay or stream YouTube? I understand the resolution wouldn't be great.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Mike:

I got my hands on a very old HP Pavilion desktop a few years ago and did a clean install of Windows XP Professional SP3 in it.
    It had an Intel Pentium III 500 MHz processor and 384 MB(128 MB X 3) of PC133 RAM.
    The install went fine, but it ran like a turtle and bogged down at times, even after I tweaked it for maximum performance.
    If your very old Dell Dimension V400 desktop has an even slower Intel Pentium II 400 MHz processor, you'll likely have the same problem.

I see you're still staying active with "dumpster diving". ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------

oldjunk likes this.
  6. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    Should work for Ebay. Not so sure about Youtube.
    This video shows it should work:

See what I did there? Using Youtube to show that Youtube should work.
    It depends on how well the graphics card that you have is supported by Puppy.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
    oldjunk likes this.
  7. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Hey, Frank...Long time.
    Yeah, I'm still scavenging - 5 days a week. I've found tons of stuff I haven't even mentioned here. Some TOTL Alienware and Apple stuff, too. Too much fun!

Nice to hear from you...

8. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Youtube plays very well on Puppy Linux, at least the one I'm using Xenial Pup.
    But you may have to go back several generations of Puppy to get smooth operation on A P2 400 and I can't say for that application.

I posted a chart that matched Puppy versions to hardware elsewhere.
    I'll search for it and post it later.

oldjunk likes this.
  9. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    Here's a generalized list:

http://wikka.puppylinux.com/WhatPuppyLinuxIsBestForYou

For you, maybe Wary Pup or Puppy 2.14x (AKA "Classic Pup"
    updated and supported continually by one of our experienced developers)

But I have no experience with them and don't know if modern video players work.

oldjunk likes this.
  10. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    The newest Windows OS will probably be Win2k.
    I bought at auction a P2 400 computer used for office work, that ran Win2k well, but that was with older apps of that time frame.
    About as out of date as Win98se.

You might just have to experiment with Puppy on a USB flash drive or CD , or Mint installed on a hard drive.

One of our members, Mike ( Miqw7394 ) seems to have experience with older Puppies. You might start a conversation with him for advice.

https://forums.techguy.org/members/miqw7394.868071/

oldjunk likes this.
  11. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    What about the RAM specs? This Dell V-400 supposedly has a limit of 384 MBs. Some of the listed OSs specify needing more RAM than 384 MBs. Also, are there any versions of Firefox browsers that will function well with this Puppy OS?

12. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I'll have to pass because of lack of experience with those older Puppies.
    I've installed several on old equipment but just out of curiosity and not used them on the Internet.
    Palemoon , a fork from an early Firefox, might be an alternative if memory is an issue.

Something you might be interested in if you go with a Live CD version of Puppy on that P2 400.
    Even if your bios can't be set to boot from USB , this bootable app on either a CD or floppy, will give that option to boot a USB flash drive on an old computer.
    Puppy will boot incredibly faster from a flash drive compared to a CD.

Boot From a USB Drive Even if your BIOS Won’t Let You
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16822/boot-from-a-usb-drive-even-if-your-bios-wont-let-you/

13. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I'll also mention, Puppy can be installed on a hard drive. That might be an advantage with low ram specs?

14. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    When Windows XP was released 18 years ago, it and its associated apps ran just fine in a computer with a 500 - 800 MHz processor and 256 - 512 MB of RAM.
    After going through 3 service packs, and with it and its associated apps getting more and more system-hungry over time, that is no longer the case.

---------------------------------------------------------------

15. oldjunk

oldjunk Thread Starter

First Name:
    Mike
    Yes. This machine does have 2 USB 1 ports. Seems fairly early for USB. I still have my original IBM '95 machine and don't remember it having USB ports.

Also, where would I locate the MSRP for this '99 Dell machine? I haven't been able to locate it online.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!