1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Latest upgrade for k7vat Lucky Star mobo?? help...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kejo, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kejo

kejo Thread Starter

hey guys,
    Hope there is someone who is able to help me.

i have a k7vat Lucky Star mobo.
    BIOS is award modular v6.00PGN

i need to update it because it sees only 136 GB out of 320 GB of my new hard disk!!

i have xp pro sp2 and it sees the full 320 GBs (in disk management), but when i boot my pc in the bios screen it shows: 136 GB
    "you could say where is the problem?? your xp sees it all..."
    yes but when i try to create a new partition (whatever type), i cant access it.
    so 90% it's bios limitation.

please help me.
    i cant find the site of lucky star...

2. bigbear

bigbear

It look s like you might be out of luck with a bios upgrade all the links appear dead.
    Maybe a new motherboard instead:D

3. Bigfella

Bigfella

There are a number of driver sites available that allow you to register for free and after your registration you should be able to find it on one of them mabey later I can find the site for you. Search for drivers download signup if that doesn't work try some variations of the sign up part also add free.

4. kejo

kejo Thread Starter

ok mates thanks for help...
    keep on helping me..
    im not that expert

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I found this link however it is a third party and NOT a link to the mfg.
    Luckystar support
    Luckystar is out of business [at least as far as I can tell] I would really look into a new board since those were pretty low end to start with and now that they are defunct.....

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW if you do not want to attempt a bios update, just install a controller card. These are pretty cheap and easy to install.

7. kejo

kejo Thread Starter

what is a controller card?
    what does it do exactly?

and what brand/model should i take ?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A controller card has its own bios and you connect your hard disk to it instead of the ide on the mb. I use only promise or highpoint cards and have never had a problem with either of them. Here is a link to a promise card

Note if you follow the directions, you do not have to reinstall the os however you do need to follow the directions exactly.

9. kejo

kejo Thread Starter

ok thanks mate.

anyway i would like to be told what are the best features to look for in a controller card?

i mean: for an hard disk nowadays you look for a 7200 rpm and 16mb ...what about controller cards?

what characteristics?

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have to stop and think this through first. Do you want to spend money on a controller card when you could just buy a new board [which is really the better way to go]

If you want to install the card, just get the one I linked to OR go with a highpoint card. Cheap controller cards cause many problems.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice