1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Latest XP windows update made my dvd rom go away

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lynx1021, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

Yesterday I switched back to my XP drive on my SC430 and it at had a windows update for office 2007. I went ahead an let it install , then I noticed my DVD drive wasn't showing anymore, went back to Feb 28 to make sure on a restore and it came back. MS trying to sabotage XP ?????

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor

3. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I think you installed an update that stops the DVD's to stop (autoplay). I can't remember the exact update number. There is nothing wrong with your computer.

4. Macboatmaster

I am sure you are right, as Lynx1021 says
    that is why I asked for the update details, so that I may check if the issue is known of.
    When we know that and what is shown in device manager we may be able to decide the best approach

5. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  6. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

I will check when I get a chance, I am in the process of reinstalling windows 7 on the other drive of the SC430, it got corrupted (due to a couple of power outages, battery went bad on UPS) ran SFC and couldn't fix two files so I tried several options that didn't work so I started over. Wife been sick so that limits my time at home, at work right now.

7. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

Thanks, seems I had to do something in the registry to fix it on another computer a couple of years ago.

8. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

I wish I had kept a diary of all repair fixes over the years. What made me suspect the update is I noticed it that evening after an Update earlier in the day (I am still getting updates for Office 2007) that the drive wasn't showing up in windows explorer. I think I looked in the device manager and it was gone there also. Tried a Restore back to 2/28 and it was back.

9. Macboatmaster

I have lost where you are at
    I need the update KB number please and what is showing in device manager for the optical drive

10. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I don't fire up XP often but I do install the Office 2007 updates. They were supposd to end in Oct. 2017 but I've updated in Dec. '17, Jan. '18 and Feb. '18.

As far as I know, my optical drives have not disappeared.

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
  12. Macboatmaster

The 1000$ question is as I asked
    WHAT is shown in device manager for the drive
    WHAT was the update or updates

Applying registry changes until we KNOW the answers to those questions is totally the WRONG approach

AND with respect the posted

means VERY little, as an example taking any control sample you wish - 99% of the sample may apply an update with no problem. The other 1% may experience a problem. It may be caused by any manner of reasons, be it the AV in use, other third party software, a file fragment of the update which has for some reason failed to be applied etc.

snuffleufflegus likes this.
  13. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    I would just suggest to reinstall Windows XP again and start fresh with it. Make backups before doing this step.

14. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    That's a bad suggestion because the OP would then be required to do years of updates, if no images were made from time to time.

15. lynx1021

lynx1021 Thread Starter

I guess it is a wonder that Dell SC430 runs at all, It was designed as a server and a friend picked it up for $60 and ended up giving it to me. I put XP home on it and added more memory, video card, DVD drive and upgraded the processor to a Pentium Dual core 3.4GHZ ($25 used). My wife's computer a with a AMD XP1700 CPU socket A started having problems a couple of years ago and I transferred everything to the SC430 with "PCMOVER" and it worked! The original incarnation was Windows 98 upgraded to XP. There are some files on there dated 2002. (Even has Corel 8 office on it) . Started to do backups a couple of years ago but ran out of DVD's. Need to get an external drive!
    "WHAT is shown in device manager for the drive!"
    "WHAT was the update or updates!" Will try to find out as soon as my wife gets out of her Manic mode, at work right now on a dell laptop Win 8.1.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206603

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice