1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Latitude D520 dead speakers HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spoon13_13, Jan 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spoon13_13

spoon13_13 Thread Starter

Hi

Two days ago my speakers and headset were working fine, no problems at all.

Yesterday the mic on my headset stopped working, but this could be that the headset is broken...

Today my speakers aren't working-they're the built in tinny ones. I have been through countless troubleshooting quizzes which involved reinstalling drivers, running tons of diagnostic stuff, turning it off and on again;) and making sure that the volume is turned up.

None of the usual system sounds work (sticky keys, pressing every button down at once) but during one of the diagnostics a sound came out (it was one which bypassed the sound card).

The sound works perfectly with headphones.

I've been to the device manager and there are no problems listed there...

I'm guessing this is something to do with speaker/soundcard communication...?

Apart from this being a total pain if the laptop isn't fixed by the time I finish my college course then I don't get to keep it. :(

2. Mikeb220

Mikeb220

I had a similar problem with my Latitude C610.

The only way I found to get my audio working again was to go to device manager, find my audio device (Intel .... AC'97 Audio Controller) and reinstall the driver. It seemed to only work with the driver I got off of the internet which was not digitally signed.

After that my sound still didn't work when I started up my computer. To start my audio again I went into device manager, right clicked on the Audio device and clicked disable. If it didn't tell me to restart, I re-enabled it and the audio worked until the next time I started my computer up.

Somehow the audio device sorted itself out and works after start up, possible from virus scans or registry cleans or disk defrags.

What you said you have tried seems to be what I did to fix my problem, so this probably won't help much.

3. spoon13_13

spoon13_13 Thread Starter

thanks for your advice-it didnt work but now I have a much better knowledge of how drivers work! I hadn't reinstalled them properly last time...bloomin dell computers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/669231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice