1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lavasoft Ad-aware won't update

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by LJborn, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

Lavasoft told me I had to get rid of Ad-aware SE and download Ad-aware 2007, so I did. Seemed to go okay, until I tried to update the virus definitions. Kept getting error that unable to update by SSL and to perform webupdate. Tried webupdate several times. Even found the instructions for manual update: downloaded the latest definition zip file. Unzipped into the correct folder (c:\programfiles\lavasoft\ad-aware 2007) supposedly, but when I checked again, still old defns... Used revoinstaller program to completely remove and then reinstalled ad-aware 2007... still errors.

I had been using adaware for YEARS, never having any problem. What do I do now? Can't get the newest version to work.

I await your advice, patiently!!!

2. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I and others from what I read, are having similar problems.
    If it isn't corrected soon, I will likely uninstall and try something else.

3. Broni

Broni

It looks like Ad-aware becoming a history...

4. John Burns

John Burns

It's fixed now................:)

5. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Must have just broken again.

6. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Nope, I'm getting the same error they are so it isn't fixed.
    Threads on the Lavasoft forum seem to indicate that some people are getting the updates and some aren't. Guess you're one of the lucky ones john.

for those interested
    Cannot Check for Definitions Updates

7. Broni

Broni

C'mmon guys, there are so many free antispyware tools out there, even better, then Ad-aware. Why bother?

8. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Yes there are, I've become a fan of SuperAntispyware because of a recommendation on this forum. Only negative I've found about it is it takes a very long time to do a complete scan. I still use adaware though, along with spybot for on demand scans and Defender for real time monitoring as I've always felt a multi pronged approach was best when trying to deal with malware

9. Broni

Broni

Superantispyware
    Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    a-Squared
    ThreatFire
    ...this is what I use.

10. John Burns

John Burns

Their servers are probably swamped - MANY people have been trying to update today with no success.

11. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

That would be my first guess, seen it happen with them before and probably will again. I'm just leaving it be until the weekend which is when I run my scans anyway.

12. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

Okay guys. Glad to hear that I have lots of company. What is the group consensus as to the another good free program to use as an alternative to ad-aware. I used to run Spybot in addition to ad-aware. Never heard of superantispyware. is that 'better' than spybot?

13. John Burns

John Burns

New updates today - fixed again, but server is VERY busy.

14. LJborn

LJborn Thread Starter

Thanks to DarqueMist, I was able to fix my problem. When I did the manual update yesterday (twice - before and after a total reinstall), I followed the instructions on the lavasoft website for manual update, which said to put the unzipped file in program files\Lavasoft\Ad-aware 2007\.... However, when I read the thread referenced by DarqueMist, one of the posters said the core file should be put in c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\lavasoft\ad-aware 2007....

Just took the core file - same one I'd already downloaded - and unzipped it into the 'new' location. Worked perfectly. I now have the 060.0000 virus defns and my full scan is running even as we speak....

Wheeeeeeeeeeeee.....

15. John Burns

John Burns

I have two pc's on my home network - one of them was able to update this morning, but the other tried and tried - and finally succeeded late this afternoon. Just be patient.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/692307