1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lazy connection?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by gordon russell, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gordon russell

gordon russell Thread Starter

Hi .
    I have spent many , many hours wrassling with how to set up my internet connection so that I do not have to click on the desktop icon from " create an new connection " to get connected to the the internet before I can click on a browser and browse . I know it is possible as I can do it on my other computer i.e. start up the computer and click on Firefox and it dials up my connection and connects with no need to connect through a new connections wizard icon .I have spent hours searching for the solution to no avail .
    Can you help me , please ?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

See my screenshot, presuming that you are using IE
    click to check the box - always dial my default connection.

Attached Files:

3. gordon russell

Hi Macboatmaster .
    I always use Firefox because Internet Explorer is too slow .
    Anyway I already have the " Always dial my default connection " box selected .
    But I disconnected from the internet after viewing your message in Firefox and opened up Internet Explorer and up popped the " Dial-up Connection - ( select the service you want to connect to)" dialogue box and on it I ticked " Connect automatically " and Lo and behold it went to my usual " connect to the internet " box and dialled thru and connected .
    So I disconnected from the internet whilst still in Internet Explorer and tried to refresh the page and up popped the "You are currently offline - to connect to the internet click Connect ( or click Stay Offline ) ". I clicked 'Connect' and it again dialled using the usual diaglogue box that I click before launching any browsers .
    I could not connect to my e-mail using IE as a script fault barred me { long story , my isp is talktalk.co.uk a bunch of charlatans , and it is an ordeal trying to get a connection in most instances ; seems there is a general fault with their e-mail access today , but anyway I can access it using Firefox , hence this message .
    I disconnected from the internet and tried to access the internet directly with Firefox , then Safari, then Chrome and they all failed - none of them even opened up the " connect to the internet " dialogue box that I get when using the new connection wizard icon . All this took a few hours as everytime I disconnected from the internet it took 5 or 6 tries to reconnect again !
    Sorry if this seems boring and wordy , just trying to provide the salient details .

4. Macboatmaster

FIREFOX connect automatically on dial-up connection.

Note please the screenshots are from Vista but the principle is the same.

Windows

1. Press the Start button at the lower left corner of your screen, and then select Control Panel.

• If you don't see a Control Panel entry, look for a Settings menu which will have a Control Panel item. The Control Panel opens.

1. If your screen does not show a list of icons, click on Switch to Classic Mode at the left side of the window. Double-click on the Internet Options icon.
    2. In the Internet Options window, go to the Connections tab. This tab will list all of your dial-up connections. In this window, you should choose Dial whenever a network connection is not present, and select the dial-up connection that you wish to be dialed automatically and press Set Default.

[​IMG]
    3. Then, press OK to close the Internet Options window. You will return to the Control Panel window.
    4. In the Control Panel window, double-click on the Administrative Tools icon.
    5. Then double-click Services.
    6. In the Services window, find the row named Remote Access Connection Manager, and double-click on it.
    7. In the "Startup type" box, select Automatic.

[​IMG]
    8. Click OK.
    9. Repeat the same steps for the Remote Access Auto Connection Manager and Telephony services.
    10. Close the Services and Control Panel windows, then reboot your computer to apply changes. From now on, Firefox will dial your preferred connection automatically when you attempt to access the Internet, if you're not already connected.

5. gordon russell

Hi again Macboatmaster ,
    I had already tried this and went back to the original settings as it did not work, but I tried it again and it made no difference .
    IE is still connection automatically now , but I got a notification box stating that 'TCP/IP connected successfully but IPX/SPX or Compatible CP reported Error 733- a connection to the remote computer could not be completed, with a choice of CONNECT or Hang Up' , and I chose CONNECT and IE went online , but I still cannot connect to my e-mail using IE as per I said before . This 'TCP/IP etc ' box has started appearing intermittantly since I started trying to get online directly using just Firefox since last Saturday ( 3 days ago) so I begin to wonder if I have caused it with my messing around trying to create ' new connections ' with the make a new connection wizard and using this wizard to experiment with different combinations within its ' make a new connection ' process.........
    I am going to change the settings back to see if that maybe caused the ' TCP/IP etc '
    error 733 to occur .
    Thanks for your help and patience!

6. Macboatmaster

You have I think altered settings that are therefore Now incorrect.
    The easiest answer is to start AGAIN.
    Uninstall the connection.
    See this and follow the guide through
    Windows XP Dial-up WalkthroughBegin by clicking on the Start button in the bottom left side of your desktop. Then move the mouse over to Control Panel and click (as seen below).
    [​IMG]
    This will open the Control Panel window. This is where you make most changes on your system. The next step for setting up your DSL is to click on the Network icon (pictured below).
    [​IMG]
    Double click on the Icon labeled Network Connections. This will bring up the window you see below. Double click on the icon labeled New Connection Wizard.
    [​IMG]
    The New Connection Wizard will walk you through setting up a dial-up connection to Speakeasy. Begin by clicking Next, located on the bottom right (seen below).
    [​IMG]
    Next you will see the Network Connection Type window. Select Connect to the Internet by clicking in the circle next to it (as seen below). Click the Next button on the bottom right to continue.
    [​IMG]
    This will take us to the Getting Ready window. You will see three choices there (as seen below). Please select the middle one labeled Set up my connection manually and then click Next.
    [​IMG]
    The next window (seen below) is labeled Internet Connection. You will want to select the first option, Connect using a dial-up modem. Then click Next to continue.
    [​IMG]
    This window is called Connection Name. Just type in yourISPname as seen below and click Next.
    [​IMG]
    Now we should be in the Phone Number to Dial screen you see below. Just type in the Local access number for your area.Once this is completed, click Next.
    [​IMG]
    Next is the Internet Account Information screen. In this screen you will be adding in the Username and Password provided to you when you signed up. The username should be your whole Speakeasy email address, including @speakeasy.net. Then type in your password and make sure that the top two boxes below that are checked. Then click Next.
    [​IMG]
    This should be the last window, labeled Completing the New Connection Wizard. In this window all you need to do is review what it says and the check the box labeled Add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop.
    Click finish and we are done.
    [​IMG]
    Congratulations! You are ready to use your Dialup. There should now be an Icon on your desktop. Just double click on the Icon to connect. After you are connected, just double click on the Internet Explorer icon on your desktop and you will be on the web.

7. gordon russell

Hi Macboatmaster.
    I was actually trying to arrange it that I could connect to the internet by using my browser icon on the desktop rather than having to click on the " new connectiion wizard " icon on the desktop before launching any browser .
    Anyway , I deleted my Network connection and went thru the " new connection wizard " ( for the umpteenth time! ) and then tried to connect to the internet directly by Firefox to no avail; so I am back to where I was in having to click the "new connection wizard " icon to connect to the internet before launching Firefox . But thanks for your continued interest Macboatmaster .
    It has me bamboozled as I can connect to the internet on the other computer that my wife has and I have used many computers that have connected directly via a browser.................... and as I said above , my IE now connects directly !

8. Macboatmaster

Sorry for delay been offline for three days.

I realised that, this was why I sent you the details of my post 4.
    However, I apologise if I have misread your reply in your post 5., but that tended to suggest to me that your settings were incorrect.

May I ask, HAS this ever worked on this computer and on the other computer on which it does work is Firefox the same edition and is the computer also running XP.

If this COMPUTER, does not have the same editi0n of Firefox as the other one, you may find that updating Firefox is the answer. Click Help on Firefox and click About Firefox. It will automatically check for updates.

9. gordon russell

Hi again Macboatmaster.
    Yes it used to work directly connecting via IE , Firefox , Opera and Safari on this computer and the Firefox versions on my Laptop are the same . (Firefox 7,0,1 )
    It is most puzzling.
    I have had both those computers running side by side and compared the 'Internet Options' ( Windows IE settings) and the Firefox 'Internet Options' and they have identical settings down to even 'Dialling Preferences' .

It is the desktop that I cannot connect via browser and a few times recently when connecting via the desktop wizard on my desktop , during the connection process up pops this dialogue box " You (or a program) have requested information from your /j9bfddr9va . Which connection do you want to use?...."
    Rather strange......... update , I looked at my System Information and that is my "System Name "............ but still none the wiser on why that diaglogue box appeared .

10. Macboatmaster

In Firefox click Help, click restart with add-ons disabled.
    Click restart on the small box that opens.
    Click restart in Safe mode.
    See if it then connects.

11. gordon russell

Hi Macboatmaster , gave your 'add-ons disabled' a try, but no joy .
    Thanks anyway .

12. Macboatmaster

I have come to the conclusion that the problem is that Mozilla does not AUTOMATICALLY disconnect from a dial up. Therefore as far as Mozilla is concerned, you ARE connected, even when you have closed Mozilla.
    IE is different because that does automatically disconnect.
    I have to say that it is years since I used dialup and then I never used Mozilla -Firefox so I am really only working from what I read.
    Why it should have worked and does not now can only be some setting that has altered.

I can only suggest that you look at these articles.
    1. Rasdial
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...docs/en-us/ras_rasdial_overview.mspx?mfr=true

2.http://kb.mozillazine.org/Autoconnect
    and from that article
    Mozilla Suite/Firefox cannot auto-disconnect but, on Windows, you can use rasdial from a command line to dial and hang up [1]. This program is part of the operating system. This MozillaZine forum topic describes how to use rasdial (or a third-party replacement) in a batch file to hang up after Firefox is closed.

I am sorry I cannot offer any other suggestion, but please do let us know how you go on.

13. gordon russell

Thanks again Macboatmaster for your indefatigable input .
    I have not had time to look at the articles you advised , butwill do and get back to you .

14. gordon russell

Hi again Macboatmaster.
    I finally got time to try the Links that you suggested in your last post.
    Unfortunately the RASDial95 link that was referred to is not available , but I tracked down a RASDial Pro 1.4 link -
    http://www.muconsulting.com/rasdialpro/index.html
    and tried the RASDial95 advice with it but alas it did not work.
    I understand what you said about Firefox still thinking that I am connected even after I have closed Firefox , but I can access the internet directly with my laptop and it has the same version of Firefox : and as I said previously , I used to be able to access directly thru my P.C. and cannot remember when it ceased to be able to do this . I will try going thru the process of setting up a rasdial batch file again and if I have success I will let you know .
    Thanks again for all your help .

15. gordon russell

Tried again after deleting my first attempt , but only succeeded to the same end - a 'shortcut to Firefox.bat icon on desktop which opens up a new Firefox window but does not connect it to internet . http://b.tsgstatic.com/smilies/frown.gif

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!