Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LCD buying help

1K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I've always been a CRT guy. Never liked the fuzziness of the LCDs. However, I'm sure they've gotten better over the years, and with my current monitor clunking out on me, I think I'm ready to make the switch over. Just have a few questions...

This is one I've come across that seems like a winner:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10071962&catid=#

With a 2ms response time, will I see any ghosting in games? That is my biggest concern. Secondly, how would the colour/contrast be? LCD always seemed so dull looking to me; how would this one compare to the crispness of a CRT?

Also, I notice there is no DVI cable included. I do appear to have a DVI port on my Radeon 9600, so would want one of those (as long as I could notive a difference). How much do they go for, and what type would I need?

Finally, just so I can make an informed decision, is there a new flat screen technologie emerging? I notice laptops at school that have screens with REALLY clear images. Much brighter than anything I'm used to seeing on a flatscreen. And the picture quality is just as good from all angles, which is another thing that bothered me about LCDs in the past. Is this LCD technologie, or more something like this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10046564&catid=23018

If it is new technologie, what's it called? An how long before it starts dropping in price?

See less See more
#2 ·
Went to the local Staples just to look around. It seems as though the brighter screens simply have a coating of some kind. What's the coating called? I can't find any reference to it in the product info. Just curious.

Can anyone help regarding my first post?

#3 ·
I don't believe you are experiencing any new technology's with those laptops, unless its something like ClearView, but the only LCD's that I'm used to seeing have 100% better pictures than outdated CRT monitors. But I'm only 17, and did not witness the older LCD's.

And yes, that monitor you chose in the first link is very nice. Definately won't have ghosting with a 2ms response time.

#4 ·
Thanks Seth,

Two more questions:

Is multisyncing still an issue? Will there be a noticeable change in image quality if I change to a different res? I ask because that screen's native resolution is (I'm only assuming) 1280 x 1024, yet, because of my graphic card, I play most games at 800x600. I know I've read before this can affect the picture quality.

Second, what specs are used to indicate color rendering? I know, in the past, that CRTs were always used by artisits because of the deeper colors. Again, I'm sure this has changed, but I would like to compare, just don't know what specs to look at.

Thanks!

#5 ·
Hate to bump, but today is the last day fo the sale.

Still looking for general opinions on CRT vs. LCD from gamers.

Also, and most importantly, is an answer to my questions above: Is multisyncing still an issue? Will there be a noticeable change in image quality if I change to a different res? I ask because that screen's native resolution is (I'm only assuming) 1280 x 1024, yet, because of my graphic card, I play most games at 800x600. I know I've read before this can affect the picture quality.

Thanks, guys!

#8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I did buy it and picked it up today.

I'm really happy with it. The text seems fine to me, replay, at least with the DVI cable.

I'm still finding it very bright though...my eyes aren't adjusting. Is there a guide online for setting up a monitor? The LG CD has little in the way of setting up the color. I'd like to really optimize the image, but I don't know how.

Thanks!

#9 ·
most apps where i've seen lcd's used are mostly a work/text environment and you save a lot of space.

$329 for a no name brand, check costco. they have brands that you've heard the name before.
http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?cat=1680&eCat=BC|84|1680&whse=BC&topnav=

use the native resolution for best results.

#10 ·
You paid too much for a 19inch monitor. But i understand in wanting it 'now'. I force myself to do the right thing in saving money when buying from newegg.

Anywhoo. I recently switched from CRT to LCD. I went with a Viewsonic VX922 for 250 bucks off of newegg. It's even cheaper now. And yes it is very bright. It will take more then an instant for your eyes to adjust to this(mine did anyway). There should be an OSD (on screen display) where you can adjust color temperature, brightness, etc.... via the butons on the LCD.

#11 ·
don't you paying shipping on top of pricing at newegg too or do they ship free?

#13 ·
bearone2 said:
don't you paying shipping on top of pricing at newegg too or do they ship free?
They do both b ut even the shipping is usually at a reduced rate when they charge it. Look at Tiger Direct for instance. Often times they advertise a lower price on the item, and then you could ship an organ for waht they charge for freight. You have to be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.