LCD doesn't like games

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SiKPupE

I borrowed a 19" Phillips LCD monitor to try out and found that Quake 3 Arena would fail to start (open gl error). GTR 2 (racing game from Simbin) would start to boot then just dump itself back to windows without even seeing the loading screen. Doom 3 seemed to work o.k. A friend has a 19" widescreen (Phillips) and has the same problems, it just throws him out of games. My 19" Dell CRT monitor works fine. I was going to buy a Chimei 22" widescreen LCD but not if this problem keeps occuring. Can anyone tell me why? Do I need to load the monitor drivers which I hadn't done? Thanks. Mike.E

crjdriver

There is no inherent problem with LCDs and gaming. I use a viewsonic 22" LCD and run UT3, UT2004, RTCW, etc without problems.

I would check what you have the refresh rate set to; lcd monitors often will not support high refresh rates. One other thing to consider. Older lcd monitors have poor response times and are not good for gaming. The newer ones are fine. At work we had some of the very first LCD screens and they were terrible for even scrolling through a web page. After the first gen, they were much better.

Generally you do not have to load any driver for a lcd monitor.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts