1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lcd for hp5100

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by f15 eagle, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. f15 eagle

f15 eagle Thread Starter

the lcd display of an hp5100 has about a bottom 1/3 of the screen showing what appears to be the last row of good pixels being repeated. this was a replacement screen from when the laptop was dropped. my thought now is it might be the video card or the lcd inverter. any thoughts from the pros?
    thanks in advance for your help.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Could be the lcd itself too ;)

3. f15 eagle

f15 eagle Thread Starter

sorry, but i forgot to say that the screen is fine for the first few seconds on boot. the screen is brand new. i know sometimes parts arrive doa or damaged but i'm pretty sure this is not the case. i won't rule it out though.

4. TheDJK

TheDJK

Have you tried reconnecting the screen (a la reseating a card in a PC)? If you're the one that (physically) replaced the screen, it shouldn't be too difficult for you. Check any ribbon or pin connectors from the screen, to ensure that nothing is frayed/severed/torn/broken.

Also, when you say "fine for the first few seconds on boot", how much of the Windows display do you see (splashscreen, desktop, etc.) before the screen messes up?

5. f15 eagle

f15 eagle Thread Starter

checked connectors and reseated everything. i get the dos messages and then an hp window. thats when i get the bottom 1/3 of the screen mess. it seems to happen when the drivers are loaded. also, i tried the old panel again, other than the damaged areas, the bottom portion of the screen was ok. any other thoughts.
    thanks.

6. TheDJK

TheDJK

It doesn't sound like a driver issue. If the new screen is supposed to be a direct replacement for the original, and the original doesn't give you the same problem, then send the new screen back.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Have you tried connecting the laptop to an external monitor? If the problem persists its likely the Video card.

8. f15 eagle

f15 eagle Thread Starter

when i was putting the new screen back in, i was connecting the switchboard pca and accidently hit one of the buttons and it started to boot up. it got all the way to the desktop before the screen messed up. at that point, i had just made the last connection. now it seems the pca is damaged.
    i did all this so i can try an external monitor, which is fine this way.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice