1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LCD inverter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spiker_22, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiker_22

spiker_22 Thread Starter

Recently my Inspiron 8600 started booting with a black screen. Shining a flash light on it, I could see login prompt then XP desk top. This kind of thing usually points to the Inverter; however, both the CCT (Cold Cathode Tube) and wiring could also be the source of my problem. I have dismanteled the display down to removing the bezel and freeing up the LCD panel. Where do i go from here to be sure which component is the cause f my problem?

Thanks in advance

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

To be honest, the best way is by substitution of the inverter or the backlight. Whichever fixes it is the problem.

The high voltage produced by the inverter could be measured with an appropriate meter, but as it is effectively a ballast the results could be affected by the CCT backlight, it may be hard to deduce just which is the problem. Open circuit voltage would also be inconclusive, it could still be a defective inverter that falls over with the load and fails to strike the CCT.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, the inverter and backlight tube are generally not that expensive. The easiest way may be to just buy both components.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice