1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LCD Monitor-analog or digital?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thewolfe, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

LCD Monitor-analog or digital?

A friend who has a standard monitor now, is thinking about buying an LCD monitor. Should I steer her towards analog or digital? If it's digital, does she need to install a new video card?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If she's a gameplayer, steer her back to CRT.... I don't use LCD because of the lower refresh rates.

3. Kazrath

Kazrath

High end digital LCD's are much better than CRT's. They refresh faster and don't flicker

But your looking at $2000 dollars for a high end 20" LCD

Otherwise the previous post is correct. Bang for buck CRT are still better.

4. Kazrath

Kazrath

May be a tad bit off on pricing havent looked for a new monitor ina couple years... But LCD's havent dropped in price much so i would stell guess around the 1200-2500 range.

5. thewolfe

thewolfe Thread Starter

What about the video card. need a new one w/ LCD?

6. slawless

slawless

it depends on you video card and LCD monitor. you will have to check if your card has 2 outputs, a standard analog and a digital (DVI) output. Then check the monitor you are thinking about to see if it has digital or analog inputs. Obviously, if the monitor you want is DVI only and your card is analog only you will need a new card.

How can you tell analog from DVI?

analog:

---------------------
    / 0 0 0 0 \
    / 0 0 0 0 0 \
    / 0 0 0 0 0 0 \
    ----------------------------

digital (DVI):

! 0000 0000 0000 0000 !
    ---------------------------------------

these images are not to scale and the number of 0 (connector) may not be exact. the analog looks alot like a serial port. nothing looks like a DVI.

My video card has both outputs but my LCD has only analog input. Digital is the best way to go if you are going LCD. I will second the advice (or third) given above about LCD vs CRT and gaming.

Steve L

7. slawless

slawless

I just saw my illustrations. they are a bit distorted from the ones submitted. Sorry, but it still will give you an idea

steve L

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

- Digital LCDs have a noticably better picture than ANALOG LCDS, and they have a faster display rate.

- LCDs do NOT have a refresh rate (like monitors), but they have a SPEED issue on how fast they can draw the screen. Higher end models tend to be faster.

- For many 17" displays and smaller, Digital is not needed, especially for the 15" models. For 18" and bigger, I would NOT touch an LCD without a DIGITAL input. As the screen gets bigger this becomes important. I've set up a 24" SAMSUNG display for a client... this $3500 unit looked good.... (like his older 19" display) then I hooked it to the Digital... and its like WOW!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168787

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice