Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LCD Monitor blank screen

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  JohnWill 
#1 ·
August, I attached a new SOYO 17" flat panel (DYLM017A) to what was to become my wife's computer and used it to set up our home network. After 3 or 4 weeks it began to flicker, change brightness. Then in mid October it failed. At first it would startup just fine, but in a few minutes the screen would go blank. I checked all connections, cables, etc. I attached an old CRT monitor to the computer and all worked just fine. I replaced 17" flat panel from WALMART. But...

The point of this long narrative is that I now have $160 in a flat panel that doesn't work (Neither Tiger or Soyo will accept a return). I strongly suspect that the backlight is broken. How can I tell if if it really is the backlight. Does anyone know if SOYO uses cold-cathode tubes. Can these be replaced? Is this a repair I might attempt?

#2 ·
"How can I tell if if it really is the backlight" the staus light will be green and the picture will be black or REALLY hard to see.

"Does anyone know if SOYO uses cold-cathode tubes" Yes all lcd do

"Can these be replaced?" Yes

"Is this a repair I might attempt?" do you live dangersouly? you have to buy a plain white cold cathode and use a wiz wheel and cut off the plastic casing and CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! take the delicate wire out of the casing. and attach to lcd monitor. FYI: inside of the plastic/cold cathode there is a Mecury Vapor VERY DEADLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not reccomeded

#4 ·
Take a flashlight and shine it on the LCD If you can see the Windows desk top then yes the Backlight is gone. And not all backlights are rplaceable as a unit itself. Some LCDs incorporate the Backlight and LCD as a integeral unit and both must be replaces as a unit.

#6 ·
JohnWill said:
Well, I'm confused. Did you really buy a LCD monitor that had a one month warranty?
John - I must admit that I was overwhelmed by greed. A 17" flat panel for $159 was just too good to pass up. Tiger Direct never warrentees for mor than 1 month. Nievely I thought there would be some backup from Soyo, but I didn't bothere to
check. Ice bought lots of goodies from TigerDirect and I am still using most of them. When the wife said "Lets make a network" away I go.

#7 ·
Slipaway172 said:
"How can I tell if if it really is the backlight" the staus light will be green and the picture will be black or REALLY hard to see.

"Does anyone know if SOYO uses cold-cathode tubes" Yes all lcd do

"Can these be replaced?" Yes

"Is this a repair I might attempt?" do you live dangersouly? you have to buy a plain white cold cathode and use a wiz wheel and cut off the plastic casing and CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! take the delicate wire out of the casing. and attach to lcd monitor. FYI: inside of the plastic/cold cathode there is a Mecury Vapor VERY DEADLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not reccomeded
FYI: there is a new breed of LCD Flat panel out there that uses LED backlights.

My LCD monitor will come on, show the VGA MODE message the go black.
The led is green but turns yellow. The yellow may indicate a lack of signal.

I think I will look arround Columbus for LCD Monitor repair places.
Mercury Vapor isn't fun stuff.

#8 ·
All you have to do is send it back to the manufacturer.I just sent one back and they repaired it and had it back to me in 2 weeks.After 30 days most online vendors will require you to do that.Should be guaranteed 2 or 3 years.Will need proof of purchase.not really that big of deal.Why pay to have repaired ? contact soyo,get RMA #

#10 ·
Thanks all for the kick in the ego. I really need it. I had gotten fixated on the idea of returning it for a refund (Tiger Direct would within 30 days). I had forgotten that I could send it back for repair.

There is a 2 year warrantee, except for those thst got the $70.00 refund (me). Fortunately they have a 1 year warrantee for those (also me).

Thus I am sending the monitor back to SOYO for repair. No mercury Vapor fumes for me. I am trying my best to live to a 100 to torment the Lucent retirement.

THANKS ALL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.