1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LCD Monitor - Dell Desktop Compatability issues.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IIkDII, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IIkDII

IIkDII Thread Starter

Hi Guys -

I just bought a Samsung 2253BW LCD Monitor and the problem I am having is that there is no DVI connector on my CPU - i.e. I can't connect the DVI cable from the monitor to my CPU because there is no bus.

I have a Dell Dimension 4500, P4 -2Ghz, 1 GB RAM, running Windows XP. The rest of the specs are:

Expansion Bus
    Bus types
    PCI and AGP
    Bus speed
    PCI: 33 MHz; AGP: 66 MHz
    AGP connector
    one
    AGP connector size
    172 pins
    AGP connector data width (maximum)
    32 bits
    AGP bus protocols
    4x/2x modes at 1.5 V
    PCI connectors
    four
    PCI connector size
    120 pins
    PCI connector data width
    (maximum)
    32 bits

Ports and Connectors
    Externally accessible:
    Serial
    9-pin connector; 16550C-compatible
    Parallel
    25-hole connector (bidirectional)
    Video
    15-hole connector
    Keyboard
    6-pin mini-DIN connector or USB connector
    Mouse
    6-pin mini-DIN connector or USB connector
    USB
    two front-panel and four back-panel USB–compliant connectors
    Headphone
    front-panel miniature connector
    Audio1
    three miniature connectors for line-in, line-out, and microphone
    Internally accessible:
    Primary IDE channel
    40-pin connector on PCI local bus
    Secondary IDE channel
    40-pin connector on PCI local bus
    Floppy drive
    34-pin connector
    1 Present only on computers with integrated audio capabilities.

Video
    Video controller
    AGP 4X

So can I upgrade my video card (do i need to upgrade ?) such that I get maximum mileage out of my monitor. If so, what video card do I buy (type, pins etc). If I buy a video card, how would I install it, since there is no pin coming out of the computer that matches my cable.

The cable has 18 pins - 9 on one side and 9 on the other, and one slightly bigger pin.

I'm sorry if that's too many questions. I am totally lost here so I am not even really sure what i should be asking.

Thanks.

2. IIkDII

IIkDII Thread Starter

I forgot to add:

1. I have barely any money left after the monitor purchase, so I would be looking to spend as little as possible. However, I would like to get maximum utility out of the graphics card, so if i a 50$ card does not do the trick, I'd rather wait a few weeks and buy a better one.

2. Would my hardware be able to handle a better graphics card, My computer is already on the slower side.

3. Mazley

Mazley

Go to your local pc store and buy a dvi to vga adaptor and a vga lead (or you may be able to use your old one if it's still ok). Should be fairly cheap

4. IIkDII

IIkDII Thread Starter

Thanks. Would I be able to get digital output with that (I should've mentioned my monitor is working, but it's on analog and I keep getting a pop-up stating that the monitor is not using its optimal settings).

Also, I don't get a setting for 1600 X 1050 - only 1600 X 1200.

5. IIkDII

IIkDII Thread Starter

hey guys I'm sorry for pestering. My video card is 32MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra. I downloaded the latest driver for it. I was getting 1600 X 1200 resolution before. I rebooted and I can't even get that now.

6. Mazley

Mazley

With such an old card, you may not be able to get the wide-screen setting (1600x1050). Maybe a good idea to upgrade - look into replacement AGP cards, even some of the cheaper ones now days should be able to support the wide-screen resolutions.

7. IIkDII

IIkDII Thread Starter

Hey, Thanks a lot for the help. I have one final question, I have a 250W power supply, and a 4X AGP slot. Can I upgrade my video card with that and if so are there any cards you (or someone else) would recommend.

8. Mazley

Mazley

250w certainly doesn't give you much room to move - make sure you get a card that states it is AGPx4 compatible (check the manufacturers website if you're unsure). Getting whatever is cheap in your area should be ok - but if you can find the money for a bigger power supply, it would certainly help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/807925

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice