LCD Monitor goes blank after a few seconds

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JCross0668

Hi Everyone

I have a 17" LCD monitor that the I turn it on it only stays on for a few seconds and then goes black, it is still getting a signal from the desktop computer because the green light is on and sound is coming from the internal speakers. If I press the power button on and off again it comes on again but only for a few seconds again. Is the monitor dead or can this be fixed?

Thanks
Jim

First Name
SUE
I would say that more than likely the monitor has had it.I dont think monitors themselves can be fixed unless it would be a bad driver such as the graphics, video, or chipset one getting corrupted somehow.If you have or can borrow another monitor and that one works then it points to the monitor going bad.

First Name
Shane
It could be your backlight / inverter that has gone. A simple test which often shows this is to get a fairly strong torch or light and shine it at the screen when the PC is on. If you can see a feint image of what should be there then the likely cause is the backlight / inverter board. Also, as SUEOHIO has suggested, if possible test the screen on a known working machine, or a known working screen on that PC to help confirm where the fault lies (99.9% sure its the LCD though :) )

I have never changed these on desktop LCD's but have done a few on laptops and they are pretty easy (on a laptop), so I would think that it is a pretty easy job on a desktop LCD as the technology is fundamentally the same.

What is the exact make and model of the LCD, we might be able to find you a guide. If you can replace the the backlight and/or inverter board and it works, that would be normally be far cheaper than replacing the screen.

First Name
SUE
The only experience i have is with laptop screens dying. Those can usually be repaired or replaced. Desktop ones most people usually just replace them especially the older ones that looked like a tv screen and weighed a ton. lol!!!The newer ones if it can be fixed then yes try it if its not to expensive to do so.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online