1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LCD Monitor Help -- Need some Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Eleutherios, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eleutherios

Eleutherios Thread Starter

Hi. I've never bought an LCD monitor before, so I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on this topic.

I currently use a 19" 4:3 aspect CRT monitor. However, it's reaching the end of its life and the purchase of a new monitor is becoming inevitable. I was thinking of going with an LCD screen for many reasons (I like the way it gives crisp pictures, as well as the size issue. A 19" CRT is DEEP!)

I was looking into it, and I apparently need a rate of 5ms, as I do play quite a few FPS games. However, I had other questions as well.

I heard that LCD monitors can behave oddly (blocky, blurry) at resolutions that are not at the native resolution. Given that the native resolution is going to be large (something like 1680 x 1050 if I go widescreen), I'd rather not run all my games in that res. So my first question is, does it scale? For example, if I run it at a smaller res in the same proportion, will it be blocky/blurry?

The next question is, does anyone know if I should go widescreen or standard 4:3? I don't have much of a preference, but many of the LCDs I see are widescreen. Is there a particular reason for this?

Also, are there any caveats that LCD monitor users have for me?

Here are the candidates I was thinking of:

Widescreens:
    22" Acer Widescreen 5ms - http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2549197&CatId=1410

22" Sceptre Gamer 5ms 1200:1 contrast (the highest contrast I've seen):
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2604167&CatId=1410

Standard:
    20.1" Samsung 5ms -http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1901416&CatId=1410

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

2. jackdw

jackdw

I'll answer this for you:
    "The next question is, does anyone know if I should go widescreen or standard 4:3? I don't have much of a preference, but many of the LCDs I see are widescreen. Is there a particular reason for this?"

I had a 17" CRT before christmas. I got a 19" for christmas, widescreen. You can fit LOADS on the taskbar before it starts to start to group. Game etc usually have an option to change the resolutions to widescreen, which is good.
    You will want a good graphics card to back it up, even just for desktop use.

3. Eleutherios

Eleutherios Thread Starter

I've got a 256MB GeForce 6800 Ultra... it can handle most anything. Certainly it can handle the high resolutions (although it gets dicey when Anisotropic filtering exceeds 4x), so that's not a mega concern for me, although I saw that concern expressed elsewhere on the Interweb.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!