1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LCD Monitor won't come on.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Buffalopride, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buffalopride

Buffalopride Thread Starter

I have a Samsung LCD monitor, model number 930b. It has been working perfectly since we bought it a few years ago. I woke up one day and the screen was black, so i assumed since we live in Florida maybe we had a power outage overnight. However, the computer was still on and the green power light on the monitor was still on. I shut everything down and powered it back up but had the same thing. So I unplugged the LCD from the computer and tried a CRT monitor and that one worked. Normally when the PC is powered down or the LCD is not connected to it, the LCD displays "No Input Signal". Now it says nothing. Is it possible that the LED backlight or whatever it has broke? And if so how difficult and expensive would it be to fix. Any ideas?

2. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

It's possible the backlite is out... But I'd check the simple stuff - like power switches ..etc ..

I have two Samsung 204B(s) .. And after about 2 years ..
    It took the backlights several minutes to come up to full brightness ..
    and I suspected it wouldn't be long before I could see nothing.

I went to the Samsung support web site .. followed their their trouble shooting procedures ..
    Filled out their warranty info ... Then took my Monitors to the local UPS store .. waited about a week ..
    and two refurbished monitors were delivered to my house ... No charge for anything.

How old are they ????

3. Piggycop

Piggycop

In my experience a full replacement is cheaper and faster. Contact the manufacturer and see what they will even send you for parts (often they will not send you parts for repair.) It is very likely your monitor is toast if it is not powering on at all.

4. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon

5. Buffalopride

Well the monitor is powering on. The power actually does come one, just the screen stays completely black. Not light black like it's booting up, but jet black like the monitor is off, but yet its on. I think I will call Samsung. Unfotunately I can't remember how long I've had it and can't find the darn box, but maybe they will do something.

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

You'll need the receipts when you go to the Samsung site.

Before I filled out the warranty stuff ..
    I took one of my Samsungs apart to see if I wanted to try to replace the Backlite.
    I decided it wasn't worth the trouble .. and couldn't find the replacement anyway.
    It might be the Backlite or the Backlite Power supply.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

FWIW .. I could not find a new monitor in the stores ... that I liked.
    Having a fat glossy Bezel that shines back in your face never made any sense to me.
    I'm also running twin screens and I like a thin bezel

I'm now looking at two of these .. and I love them.
    And I've kept the receipts :D

Being a Snowbird ... How well I remember Florida's Power ... Or lack of it :D
    But the fishin was good.

8. Buffalopride

The fishing is excellent, you are right about that. But with the power going out all the time in the summer due to all these dang storms, it makes me hate it. Plus its really hot. I do love this monitor, and would hate to part, but I'm not going to pump a bunch of money in it if I can get a new one for the same. I saw a 22'' Acer at Wal-Mart for $178 that caught my eye. Boy I'd really hate to lose this one though.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

I didn't want to loose my Samsungs either ..
    It was well worth the effort to wade thru the warranty red tape.

I wonder what the Acer warranty is like ???

Where I was Snowbirding ... The only ISP available was a dialup ..
    18kb max ... But only on very dry days.
    At least the specs were 3 pounders on Lake George.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/837459