1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ophidian, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ophidian

Ophidian Thread Starter

Hey everyone. I'm currently shopping for a new LCD monitor since the monitor I'm currently using is a older-bulky one of only fair quality. I'm going to head to a computer show in a couple of weeks to see if I can pick a good one up there. I was curious to see if anyone had any tips or advise as to what I should look for and try getting. Thanks.

2. vboccio

vboccio

Go with any style of Samsung, Like the 171 t 17". I have a Samsung 191T and it is absolutley the best. Samsung makes most of the LCD Screens for other manufacturers( Samsung is the largets LCD screen Manufacturer in the world) so even if you buy another brand name you will probably be getting a Samsung LCD Screen. Unless of course if you buy a Sony.

3. Ophidian

Ophidian Thread Starter

Yea, I've noticed that they're usually one of the highest ranked and so are Viewsonics. Do you have any trouble with streaking or ghosting across the screen while watching movies or playing games?

4. vboccio

vboccio

Yes a liitle bit with video games but, not much with movies. I also have a ATI Radeon 9700 pro video card so that may account for the non streaking in the movies, as far as video games streaking that is just the nature of the beast. If you really want to watch movies or play video games on your computer than you are better off with a CRT.

5. Ophidian

Ophidian Thread Starter

Well, that's what is making it a tough decision... I have a GeForce 4 so I think movies and games wouldn't be too much of a problem... I just have to make sure I get a pretty good monitor. I've been looking and I'm definitely thinking that I'm going to go with either a Viewsonic or a Samsung, whichever I find a better deal for unless I find a CRT worth getting.

6. vboccio

vboccio

Check out thenerds.net. They had the best price on the Samsung 191T
    that I bought. Just a word of caution there shipping is slow they wait until they have several monitors to ship and then they ship them together instead of shipping items as they are ordered but, their prices are very good. Check out Samsung website.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

8. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Always a question. Which is more important to you. While the flat screens look nice, they don't really excel at meeting the refresh rates of a CRT. I like them both, but I use a CRT at home where the monitor is never moved and is off the desk, and a flat screen veiwsonic at work.

I prefer the CRT at home. It's a KDS 19"Xflat. I can't find a resolution or refresh rate it can't obtain. plus it's .25 resolution.

The flat screen at work is nice, but playing games on it, or watching movies, tv, on it would give me a headache.

9. Ophidian

Ophidian Thread Starter

Its a tough call... with some of the nicer LCDs, response time and image quality wouldn't be too much of a concern. Part of the problem though is trying to make sure I get one that is alright for games and movies in addition to regular use.

I've also recieved a mix of opinions on the matter. Some say I'd be fine with a good quality LCD while others recommend just going with a CRT.

10. plschwartz

plschwartz

Mitsi has recently come out with a line of lcds with a 16ms response time said to be excellent for movies and games. i don't know the cost.

11. Ophidian

Ophidian Thread Starter

Hmm... I checked their site and they don't list the response times for their monitors. Where'd you see or hear about the new line?

12. plschwartz

plschwartz

13. Ophidian

Ophidian Thread Starter

Ah ok. Thanks!

Now I just gotta figure out what I'm gonna get...

14. vboccio

vboccio

Hate to confuse you even more but, Mistubishis Would be a brand I would stay away from I have had nothing but bad luck with Mistsubishi T.V.'s and friends of mine have Mitsubishi computer screens and they hate them. There new ones might be better by I would be Cautious. If it's a NEC/Mitsubishi I would trust that over a Mitsubishi branded monitor. Just some more food for thought

15. plschwartz

plschwartz

I do believe that somw time ago nec merged monitor production with Mitsi. All there current offerings are on a nec/mitsi webiste as a simple search would have shown

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice