LCD not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ash788

I have a toshiba satellite m105 s3074 laptop. While it was being used, the screen went grey and I smelled something burnt. Afterwords, the screen was completely black. The computer works fine when connected to an external monitor. I just bought a new LCD cable and while replacing it, i noticed the original cable had melted. Once the new cable was connected, the lcd works but there is no picture, only black and grey vertical lines. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be???

Shorting it out probably damaged the video going to it. You might want to examine closely the connection point on the motherboard where the cable connects - and (yes, this does sound odd) sniff it. If it smells of ozone (that brackish electrical smell), there's a good chance it fried the wiring to the clip that the harness plugs into - the good news is that you probably didn't fry the video processor, since you can run the external screen.

Question - have you switched the internal/external video switch on the keyboard yet? (While holding the FN key down, press the corresponding LCD/CRT key until the screens switch.) Also, does the TOSHIBA logo come up during bootup?

A-N

ash788

Yes, i switched the video switch. I do not get the toshiba logo. And are you talking about the place where the lcd cable connects to the motherboard? If it is fried, what do I do.

Yes, at the motherboard. But, if you are able to get a picture on an external, there might be a way to see if it's that jack or not - does the Toshiba logo come up on the EXTERNAL when booting? If so, see if you can get into the BIOS and see what it says about your video interface. If it defaults to the external, see if you can switch it that way to the internal.

As for the installation of the video cable, you did make sure that the backlight is in working condition, correct? Usually, when the cable burns, its in or around the backlight, and that's not usually good for it either.

A-N

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online