1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LCD or Plasma...decision time.

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Gibble, Aug 8, 2006.

Advertisement
  1. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

Well, soon I'll be buying a new bigscreen (~50"), but I'm not sure if I want an LCD or Plasma.

What are the pros and cons of each? What features should I be looking for?

2. wacor

wacor Banned

With LCD or DLP there is a light bulb that has to be replaced every now and then. Most indicate about every three years. They are not cheap. typically about $300 for the bulb alone. I have a Sony I just bought and I should be able to replace it myself.

As to the pictures my perception is there is virtually no difference looking from head on although I am sure some will disagree. if you look from off to the side the Plasma will have a better picture but you have to be pretty far off to the side for that to become noticable. If you compare them in a strore you should be able to see what i mean.

On the Plasma they do not have a bulb to replace but there is a life expectancy for something in the unit but not sure what. It used to be that around 5 years would be all they would last without the screen going and now i think they are rated for over ten years. This is based on averages. if you ask they will indicate how many hours they are expected to last.

In conclusion I bought the LCD because I did not think the Plasma was worth the added cost which was pretty significant if you go with a name brand. i bought a sony 50" for about $2300 a few months ago and that model was already down to about $2000 I think the same thing is Plasma in a sony was around $1000 more but not postive

If your intent on buying was to get HI Def then you should be aware that there are not that many hi def stations yet. I think on the Comcast cable there are only around 20? Typicall including the local abc, nbc, fox, and cbs broadcasts. You also should know that not all hi def is widescreen so you need to keep that in mind that some shows will not be widescreen

on the otherhand shows like CSI really jump out at ya on the hi def widescreen.

One thing you might want to do is to have the store show you how a regular signal looks and then what it looks with the screen stretched. There is regular, widescreen and the wide zoom. On most sets the stretched picture looks awful and you wont like it as it distorts the picture.

lastly all the national broadcasts for abc, nbc, cbs, and maybe fox are broadcast over the air in hi def. You can get those for free with a set of rabbit ears if the signal is decent where you live. I did that and elected not to pay to get the hi def on cable since there were so few cable shows on hi def. The rabbit ears were amplified and cost about $40

3. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

Well I was just looking at prices (http://futureshop.ca) and it seemed like Plasma was actually a little cheaper...for some reason.

I'm definitely getting HDTV, I didn't get it on my other TV (RCA 52" Rear Projection) and that's the main reason I'm replacing my TV/Stereo, etc.

I don't actually watch much "tv", I mainly watch movies, and sports.

4. RSM123

RSM123

Would you not consider a projector for movies ... assuming you have a wall or suitable pull down screen ? With a decent projector you can easily have an 84 inch ( or greater ) image at far less cost.

5. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

Don't really have the space for that. I may go with just a 42" LCD...

6. wacor

wacor Banned

Unless you really do your homework I would suggest buying from a place where you can return it if you are not happy with the size.

I got talked into a bigger tv that did not seem that large in the store but was huge in the house as the speakers were on the side.

be careful about the low end models. they might require a hi def box which if i remember is another $200-$300

7. Mulderator

Mulderator

I wouldn't get either unless absolutely necessary. There are now some new technology projection type televisions that are very thin--maybe like 8 inches wide. Those are still superior in quality and last longer than LCDs and Plasmas.

8. Gibble

Gibble Thread Starter

You mean DLP?

9. Mulderator

Mulderator

No--its LCOS or something like that. Also consider the front projection televisions--they offer the best quality. Plasmas are the least desirable, but they do offer the benefit of being hung on a wall, which people like. I frankly would get the best quality--front projection if possible.

10. InfernoReaper

InfernoReaper

Plasmas get darker from the moment you start using them so the brightness will have to be reset every so often
    LCDs are cheap but you have to pay for bulbs like wacorsaut said
    ive had a DLP and it had excellent picture quality
    LCOS is really smooth and have a better color projection

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice