1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LCD TVs

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Jackiefrost9, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9 Thread Starter

Does anyone have a preferred brand of LCD TVs? I've been looking at purchasing one so i figured I would just ask around here to see what people thought.
    It needs to have at least one HDMI input, support 1080p, and it has to be 42 inches (although a little bigger won't hurt).

I've been looking around and I came up with this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16889101097

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?

2. wacor

wacor Banned

I bought a Sony and don't regret it.

You pay a bit more but to me it was worth it.

Be patient. If you can wait a few months the prices will be coming down

3. Jackiefrost9

lol I can't wait a few months.
    I NEED it.
    I think....

4. wacor

wacor Banned

I understand. :D

The best advice I can give is to buy from a place where you can return it if you are not happy.

It is very difficult to figure out what size is right and how it will fit till you get it in the house.

What is your budget??

5. linskyjack

linskyjack

I would concur with Wacor on Sony----I also like the Samsungs---highly rated and reasonably priced.

6. wacor

wacor Banned

Howdy Jack.

Samsung seems to have improved but not sure about them yet. I know years ago they did not have a great reputation.

I tend to buy into the argument that it costs 10% to go first class so I generally will pay the extra on things like this to go with a company with a proven record.

I was patient and did a lot of shopping. Best thing I did tho was to buy from a place with a price guarantee and return policy that was generous. Took the 60" back which looked fine in the store but was enormous when put in the house. Then I found at Sams Club the same unit for about $200 less. :D

7. Jackiefrost9

well I will probably be ordering off of newegg just because they seem to have the lowest price out of anyone, and no tax. Their return policy is you pay shipping and a 15% restocking fee, which can be expensive, but I don't plan on returning it when I make my decision. I'm avoiding all box stores because they are more expensive and you pay tax.

So some good brands are sony and samsung. What about sharp, any input on them?

I'm pretty sure a 42 inch would be the best for me, just because where it would be going isn't a very large space.

8. wacor

wacor Banned

You plan is ok if you are certain about the size and what you want.

If it has to be returned then you will have spent more. shipping aint cheap.

if you are up to the negative aspects then choose as you like.

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Why LCD? Are you planning on hooking your computer to it? For outright viewing Plasma is a superior choice. A mature technology, the deepest blacks and contrast ratios, no response time "trailer" effects, better viewing angles etc.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/panasonic-th50px60u-review.html

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TH-50PX60U-50-Plasma-HDTV/dp/B000F4CTUK

10. Darth Soup

Darth Soup

At that size (42"), I would not dream of going with an LCD. They get too expensive when compared to comparable size plasma screens.

Personally, I would rather not go through a mail order outfit for an item like this unless I was 100% sure that it was the right model for my situation, and that does not account for product defects.

My LCD tv is the third unit that I brought home. It is very difficult to know what the screen and performance will be like until you have the unit in the environment in which you plan on using it. I was lucky enough to have a friend that has a similar viewing room, and I learned from his mistakes. The first set was a 42" plasma, but it was too big for the room I was in. My wife and I were having trouble capturing the entire screen. I than settled on a 37" LCD, but there was a problem with the screen. Then I found 37" Vizio at Costco. It has 2 HDMI inputs, and was several hundreds less than the other models

11. Jackiefrost9

I was thinking about plasma but the resolutions for those aren't as high as the resolutions for LCDs. Well they are, but a 1080p plasma tv is expensive. And yes I plan on hooking my computer up with a DVI to HDMI converter. That's the main reason I want a LCD display, because if I hooked a computer up to a plasma it wouldn't get as good of a resolution and if I left it sitting there long enough it would burn in the screen. Although this is a little rare, I don't want to risk it.
    And i know you can't gat as vibrant of colors with LCDs as you do with plasmas because of light leakage, but the difference is barely noticable.

12. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

You did note that the 50 inch Panasonic Plasma is about the same price as that 42 inch LCD.

13. techy689

techy689

I didn't read everyones posts but if you want my choice here it goes:

I have one smackin new Sony 60" LCD tv

and one Sony 50" LCD TV ( bought this one 3 years back)

Sony is buy far the best quality you can get, and is extremely highly rated. I would go with the new BRAVIA models... they have a really nice 40" model:

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/20I...Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_flatpanel_32to40

Next in line would be Samsung....

And, o ya, u said u need one now.... BAD IDEA.... I just found out that by the end of 2007... 60" plasma screens will be running at the lowest $2000....

So if you wait, you can save a lot of money.

14. Jackiefrost9

Yes I saw that, but that is attributed to the lower resolution of the plasma. I'll go compare plasmas and LCDs in best buy or circuit city and see which one I like better.

15. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Says who? And next would be Samsung? What a joke. If one wants the best flat, large screen experience available, Panasonic and Pioneer are the way to go. Sony got slammed when they were in the Plasma game due to their lackluster performance and overpriced offerings and now produce LCDs that are almost as good as Panasonic/Pioneer plasmas. But unfortunately still can't match their deep finely textured blacks, natural flesh tones, and contrast ratios. And although improved, still suffer from motion lag in certain circumstances.

A quick comment on a Sony Bravia:

... we were more impressed with the color reproduction accuracy of the KDL-46S2000. On the other hand, like most LCD televisions, the initial assessment of the KDL-46S2000's black levels left much to be desired. The dark parts of the picture were displayed too brightly, and much of the dark detail was lost.

How about a few Panasonic 42 inch Plasma coments:

Wow, once the picture was calibrated the TH-42PX60U had undoubtedly the truest picture of any television that we have tested to date.

Panasonic's black levels have been the best in the industry for years, and the TH-42PX60U is no exception. The TH-42PX60U clearly exhibits subtle differences in the dark Depression-era scenes of the Cinderella Man HD-DVD. This is an important strength for Panasonic because the dark matter detailing of the plasma television impacts the picture's realism as much as its color reproduction ability.

The TH-42PX60U is not only an impressive plasma display, but it is the most affordable of the top-tier plasma televisions. Both Samsung and Toshiba have 42" plasma televisions on the market with marginally lower prices, but they can hardly compete with the superior picture quality of the TH-42PX60U.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538916

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice