1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

LCD ViewSonic Monitor very unstable, Help!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ghostpc, Oct 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ghostpc

Ghostpc Thread Starter

My 2nd attempt to get some help off the forums :)

A few days ago, I tried loading up Warcraft 3, a game, and the screen went black, with the light flashing on and off. If I alt tabbed out of WC3 the screen turned back on. The problem persisted after a restarted, so I left it for a while. A few hours later I tried and W3 worked fine, no problems.

However today I turn on my PC and after a few seconds during the boot up, the screen goes blank with the flashing on and off light again. I restart it and it goes blank even faster.
    After a while on the forums (on my GFs laptop) I try pressing F8 before the screen goes blank, and then press ESC for the 'default' Boot option. It goes on to boot up normally, with screen errors. I test out warcraft 3, (since when I first saw this it was whilst starting up this program) and it works fine, and goes on to do so for a few hours, till I turn the screen off and on to see if the problem is permanently fixed. It hasn't, the screen goes black.
    Upon restarting my PC I get the same error as before, Pressing F8 and Esc doesn't fix it anymore. However now after pressing Esc I get to the screen where they ask me if I would like to Boot up in Safe mode. I do so and it loads up in safe mode fine.
    Later on I try again to get it to load in normal mode, it does first time. Then upon loading Warcraft 3 again, the screen goes black again, with the flashing light. Again rebooting results in the same black screen a few seconds into loading up.
    Sometimes it goes black before I get to the screen to press ESC to choose default BOOT.
    So a few hours later I try and it works a third time. This time, I download and install the latest drivers for my Monitor and Graphics card. During these installation i restart my pc multiple times, and each time the screen responds fine, without any problem. So after an hour, with many successfull restarts in between im convinced it is fixed, load up warcraft 3 for the final test.... guess what the screen gos black again with the bloody flashing on and off light! And goes on to do so during reboots.

So what have I deduced?
    Well I doubt it is anything over heating, since firstly my computer hasn't struggled with anything. And secondly Warcraft 3 worked fine wit hteh screen in the middle of the day, the screen only went black after I turned it off and on.
    Also the last time the screen was working, it continued to do so after turning it off and on, only going black when I loaded up Warcraft 3.
    When it is going black, it continues to do so on restarts, sometimes I can get it to load up in Safe mode, if it doesn't go black to fast.
    However it only seems to work in normal mode after I leave it for quite a while.

Here is my spec, it's only a little over a year old.

Mainboard : Asus P5B-Deluxe
    Chipset : Intel P965
    Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2133 MHz
    Physical Memory : 2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
    Video Card : Radeon X1950 Pro
    Hard Disk : WDC (250 GB)
    DVD-Rom Drive : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-112D SCSI CdRom Device
    Monitor Type : ViewSonic VX922 - 19 inches
    Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd) Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
    Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
    DirectX : Version 9.0c (???? 2008)
    Power Supply: CoolMaster 550W

Any ideas what to do?

I really need to fix this ASAP :( Help would be much appreciated!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/763082