1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Leaf and Hamachi alternative for IPX communications

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mcseguy9, Apr 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mcseguy9

mcseguy9 Thread Starter

Leaf and Hamaci work for TCP/IP only, I think.

I need a program like that that works for IPX, in order to play Warcraft 2 online without using battlenet (you can't play against the computer on battlenet, only against players, and I would like to be able to play with friends against the computer).

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Not going to happen. You can't run IPX over the internet even though it is a internet protocol. IPX was for local lan playing only and was long ago replaced with tcp/ip. It has been awhile but I thought you could host a game on your pc and have your friends join it via the internet and tcp/ip.

3. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Well, you can but it's going to take a lot more work and money than I bet you'll want to devote. You need to set up two Cisco routers on each end of your connection and use GRE tunneling.

4. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Yep that would work. Wouldn't have thought of a commercial solution to a home game issue.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Yeah, normally you wouldn't think about using something like what I suggested. But then again, I don't see the need for the other exotic type transports for just providing a game server connection link. For game server type stuff like this, I would just password lock the server and be done with it. I have a ton of hosted server traffic coming in and out of my network but I personally haven't gone that step to secure every bit of traffic. I only use my VPN connections only when I'm doing remote administrative stuff on the network.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice