Learning Linux

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Richard Baldwin

I have tried, off and on, for severaly years to learn Linux and I've the books and software to prove it. But! there is a "moat" I cannot cross before getting a foot on the first rung of the learning ladder. Does anyone know of an introductory text which especially addresses such ignorance? I was once pretty adept at assembly language programming... eons ago...perhaps too long ago.
Thanks!

One of the best ways to learn Linux is to get hold of a distro, load it onto a machine and play with it! I reccomend Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com). Ubuntu is nice because it comes in two versions - one you can install on a hard drive, but more useful to you, is the one that you can boot direct from the CD. This is handy because all you have to do is put the CD into any machine and reboot (assuming you have the BIOS configured to allow boot from CD). This will boot Ubuntu Linux from the CD, but without touching whatever you have installed on your hard drive.

Try it and see!

Mike

Linux in some ways is similar to DOS especially at the command prompt, but less forgiving and many more commands. In the command mode there is no undelete like there is in DOS.

I'd recommend the "Linux for Dummies" book :) I think they are pretty easy to follow for beginners.. sometimes too simple but what can you do..

The good thing about Linux of today is that a lot of them GUI based.. so you don't need to know every cryptic command and functions to do something as simple as searching for a file.

As suggested, play with it and google anything you may get stumped with.

Richard Baldwin

Thanks for your kind reply. Ubuntu Live will not run on my computer. When booted it just displays a blank screen after the Splash screen. Windows "denies acess" when the CD is inserted when windows is loaded. Most annoying!
Richard

Richard Baldwin

Thank you for you kind and exciting reply. I'm all signed up! Be you progressive or conservative you might like to donload Dr. Dean Baker's new 108 page book "The Conservative Nanny State." I've just finished it-- remarkably clear and enlightening. (oh Yes! www.cepr.net--uncopyrighted)
Richard

account1234

Account Closed
All i can say for you dude is like dont read books they dont work if your like me you gotta learn it first hand and like if your desperate enough to read a book then ill teach you the basic stuff u know cmd's n servers n stuff n get you set for normal tasks then your on your own but ill teach you lol if youd like - the dog (have fun)

Richard Baldwin

Thank you for replying. I have received some sites of considerable help. If I can't grasp it why then I must give up. At age 76 time is running short.
Richard

Don't like to hear you talk like that Richard.

I'm 75 this summer and I'm still trying to "learn" Linux.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online