? Leave Laptop Switched on Or Not?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tuppence2

Hello.

Wasn't sure where to post this!

Not having had a laptop before and having always left my p.c. on all day, I'm not sure whether doing the same with the laptop would be harmful to it as regards it overheating - should I switch it on and off three or four times a day as I use it?

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give.

Bye,
Penny.

If your desk isn't that tidy make sure your not blocking any of the cooling vents.

If you think its getting a bit hot then you can get a "stand" that holds the base off the desk at a better angle for typing and allows a better air flow. Some of these have built in fans which might help. To be honest you dn't need one.

The power saving can still be set so that your machine switches off monitor and hard dreive after a period and most laptops have other power saving features which are still worth using when left plugged in on a desk, just change the timings so they don't cut in at enoyingly short intervals.

Also as you might occasionally use your laptop on the move I'd run the battery down once a month just to check how long it works on battery. Its not unusual to find a laptop thats been plugged in for over a year with a battery thats worn out and lasts about 5mins.

In short leave it on and set up the power saving for the way you work.

Tuppence2

Hello thin man

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll change my power settings and do as you say, use the machine on battery once a month.

I appreciate the help.

Penny.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online