Leaving computer open to internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

computerdunce123

Just before my 13 year old nephew left for a week's holiday early Wednesday morning, I noticed that his computer was still switched on. I told him and he said "Don't turn it off, it's doing things in the background."
Apart from the expense of the electricity to run a computer 24/7, I thought it must surely be a risk; being open to the internet for a whole week, totally unattended. Surely our family network would be vulnerable.

I decided to shut it down and found that there were several web pages open. I had no idea what they were but I was not prepared to risk it since if anyone broke into his Email, then they would probably be able to get to all of our accounts; being all on the same network.

Was I right to be concerned?

keltic1der

Donald
As for the part of saving electricity, nope. I would have shut it down for that too. I always look for ways to save money.. lol

If the computer has the proper security software: Anti-Virus and Anti-malware that are actively scanning
Also, if the computer has a software firewall: Hardware, software or both.
It could be okay to leave it on, but without knowing what the web pages are or if there is any p2p file sharing programs running there is no way to be 100% sure.

It is always better to be safe then sorry, so I would have shut it down as well.

valis

I leave mine on 24/7, but rarely connected to the internet. If you have your power settings set correctly, the electrical drain will be very minimal.

valis

trust me, I went through a divorce a couple years back, and got an 11 year old son, so yeah, I'm about as thrifty as they get. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online