Leaving Laptop on for a few days at a time.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

OldValentine

Is this okay? I usually shut my laptop off every night before bed. But lately I have been having shutdown and start up problems. Something is causing Windows to hang during shutdown, and therefore I have to hold the power button down for it to turn off.
Doing this at night, then causes Windows not to want to boot up in the morning. It eventually boots up and loads fine after a few attempts. So instead of having to deal with the frustration of doing this every night, is it acceptable to leave it on for a few days at a time?

(And in regards to the problem my laptop is having, My CD-ROM is also broken..so at this time, I'm unable to use the Windows recovery disk :/)

It won't hurt it as long as it has enough ventilation. Don't stuff it into a corner or anything. You could also set it to hibernate, which basically turns it off without shutting down Windows. Of you could just put it in standby, which uses more power but basically does the same thing.

bonk

Banned
Does it have any messages when it won't shut down??

For you CD check in Device Manager and in the list check you CD and see if it is flagged or even there.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online