Solved Left Click Mouse and Touchpad Not Working

Bidi

Left click on mouse and touchpad not working consistently on my Lenovo Ideapad 110, Win10. I suspect a driver problem but can't download because I can't navigate to it. :unsure:

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Hi and welcome to TSG.

Sometimes pressing the Enter key or the Spacebar simulates a left-click.

Also in the Mouse settings (Start > Settings > Devices > Mouse) you can change the 'primary button' from Left to Right. Then you can use the right mouse button to 'left-click'. Hopefully that will help you to download the driver.

First Name
Liz
First Name
Liz
I can get a bit further.
1. The windows key will open all programs
2. In the search/run box, type in mouse.
3. In the list that comes up, use the arrow key to get down to Change Mouse settings and press Enter.

I'm still working on how you can put a check/tick in the first box to switch the right and left mouse buttons if the left mouse button isn't working.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I found something that works with no left mouse button.
1. Click the Windows key and type
Code:
regedit
in the search/run box and press enter. (In the box that pops up, use your left arrow to be sure Yes is outlined, then press enter.)
2. Use the arrow key to get to HKEY_CURRENT_USER
3. Right click and select expand.
4. Use the arrow key to get to Control Panel and use the right arrow key to expand.
5. Use the arrow key to get to mouse and right click on it.
6. In the right pane, right click on Swap Mouse Buttons and select modify.
7. Change the value from 0 to 1.

This swaps the right and left mouse buttons.

Last edited:

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
You can navigate the menu after pressing the Windows key with the up/down arrow keys and the Enter key then use Tab key to switch to different areas on a window, I should have included that in my post.

But your regedit method is neater Liz.

It's actually doable without any mouse clicks at all :-
  1. Press Windows key
  2. Type REGEDIT then press Enter
  3. Use up/down arrow keys to highlight HKEY_CURRENT_USER then right arrow key to expand it
  4. Use up/down arrow keys to highlight Control Panel then right arrow key to expand it
  5. Use up/down arrow keys to highlight Mouse then press TAB key to change to the right pane
  6. Use up/down arrow keys to highlight SwapMouseButtons then press Enter
  7. Press the 1 (one) key then Press Enter
  8. Hold down Alt key and press F key then press X key which will close the regedit window.
You find things like that out when your laptop trackpad throws a wobbler like mine did a while back :mad: thankfully it's behaving itself now. :)

(Pressing the Spacebar should toggle a selection box once it is the current item)

Last edited:
First Name
Liz
Ah, the enter key. I pressed tab and it took me where i didn't want to go in the mouse box.

I'll have to practice that.
No, pressing the enter key just closed the box; it did not allow me to switch the right and left mouse buttons, even though the Switch primary and secondary buttons had a dotted box around it.

Bidi

Hello, everyone - I'm back. Thank all of you for your swift responses. I tried all the remap options and even a program called X-Mouse control, all with no luck. Had to buy a new mouse which works great. Thanks again.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
Ah, the enter key. I pressed tab and it took me where i didn't want to go in the mouse box.

I'll have to practice that.
No, pressing the enter key just closed the box; it did not allow me to switch the right and left mouse buttons, even though the Switch primary and secondary buttons had a dotted box around it.
you use up/down arrow to change between Left and Right

First Name
Liz
1. The windows key will open all programs
2. In the search/run box, type in mouse.
3. In the list that comes up, use the arrow key to get down to Change Mouse settings and press Enter.

I'm still working on how you can put a check/tick in the first box to switch the right and left mouse buttons if the left mouse button isn't working.

There is no way to get this box checked/ticked if the left mouse button is not working.
switch_buttons.jpg
left arrow, right arrow, up arrow, down arrow...it makes no difference. I tried tab, shift tab, enter and even tried right mouse clicking. I even hit function keys for good measure. That box never gets a check/tick in it to enable the left and right buttons to switch.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
That looks like Windows 7, I was using Windows 10 like the OP.

First Name
Liz
I don't have a Windows 10 computer to try this on, sorry.

First Name
Liz
...and those of us who don't so we know what doesn't work. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online