1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Left click opens nothing. Having to right click.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by TLHuston, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TLHuston

TLHuston Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7550 @ 2.26GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4062 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 464057 MB, Free - 286184 MB; D: Total - 12877 MB, Free - 2034 MB;
    Motherboard: Quanta, 3624
    Antivirus: Norton Internet Security, Disabled
    Started after I tried to put Norton on my computer. Kept getting all kinds of error messages, so I deleted Norton. Immediately after, LEFT click stopped opening anything (except on this site, oddly enough). On eBay, hotmail, Amazon....anything other than this site, I have to RIGHT click, then chose Open. I saw this addressed in a few places, but didn't understand the fix that was suggested. One said to go to #18 on the home page. That didn't make sense to me. Would really like to just be able to LEFT click to open something. Thanks, y'all.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Click Start > Settings > Control Panel > Mouse > Buttons > Button configuration > Untick the box.

3. DKTaber

DKTaber

Phantom is one of the best techs on this site. The steps he suggests are valid unless you have a wireless mouse (how do I know? I have a wireless MS Intellimouse, and the checkbox he wants you to uncheck isn't there/has been replaced by the mouse's special software). What he's trying to get you to do is change what the left and right buttons do. The reason you can change what they do is because some people are left-handed, so for them, you want the RIGHT button to do what the LEFT button does for a right-handed person. So if your mouse is wireless, look at the settings for each button and change them based on whether you're right- or left-handed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice