1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Left Ctrl = mute, Right Ctrl = Master Volume up. Annoying!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by avengah, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. avengah

avengah Thread Starter

For a while now, the two Ctrl keys have done Mute and Volume Up. It's really annoying and I don't know what's causing it. Does anyone know what it is, and how can I stop it? Thanks!

2. Morny

Morny

Hello avengah,

Please explain in more details what your problem is? Do you mean the control keys do not work anymore? Often PCs have special buttons that control the sound volume

3. maceman

maceman

Hi,
    Can you also tell what kind of keyboard you're using and maybe some info about computer itself (at least OS).

4. avengah

avengah Thread Starter

The control keys do work, but as well as doing what they're supposed to, the left one also mutes / unmutes the sound, and the right one also turns the volume up a bit (if I keep pressing it, it goes up to max volume). It's a Genius K639 keyboard, I'm using Windows XP Home Edition, the computer was built by a friend. Another weird thing I just discovered is that the Pause / Break key turns on and off the Scroll Lock.

I'm beginning to think the keyboard needs replacing, maybe it's shorting somehow. Thanks again.

5. maceman

maceman

You should probably update the driver first.
    Have you tried to find out if there is a button or switch which makes it a remote control for music?
    Or maybe in your player has something like that..

6. avengah

avengah Thread Starter

I've tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers, and it automatically installs Standard 101/102-key Keyboard when I restart Windows. I checked all my audio programs and couldn't find any where I'd set keyboard shortcuts up. I even downloaded Sound Control and checked keyboard shortcuts in that, and there are none set.

EDIT: By the way, the "Product Name" on the back of the keyboard is KB-06XE. K639 is the model number.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918173

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice