1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Leftover registry values after reformat

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WillPall, Sep 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WillPall

WillPall Thread Starter

I like to reformat my computer periodically, it keeps everything running smooth. The time had come to reformat, so I popped in my XP Pro install disc and let it whirr. I did the usual deal, deleted my old partition, and recreated a new one using a Quick NTFS Format. The install went smoothly.

Now however, I'm looking at some registry values, and I have all kinds of entries from old programs that were installed before I formatted. There are a few games on the list (FEAR, Oblivion, etc), the only problem is, I haven't installed those programs yet. It seems as if the format I've done didn't actually clean everything off.

I have two harddrives, but I use one for all the downloads/files/pictures/documents/other OS's/etc, and I use the other one just for installing XP and my programs. Is it possible that the quick format didn't do its job? Maybe it didn't get to delete the partition tables correctly or something, I dunno.

Anyone else ever have this problem before?

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

MORE INFORMATION
    When you choose to run a regular format on a volume, files are removed from the volume that you are formatting and the hard disk is scanned for bad sectors. The scan for bad sectors is responsible for the majority of the time that it takes to format a volume.

If you choose the Quick format option, format removes files from the partition, but does not scan the disk for bad sectors. Only use this option if your hard disk has been previously formatted and you are sure that your hard disk is not damaged.

If you installed Windows XP on a partition that was formatted by using the Quick format option, you can also check your disk by using the chkdsk /r command after the installation of Windows XP is completed.

Quick format does not remove all old files. It writes over (if I remember correctly) the 1st 100 Mg and the last 100 mg on the HD. It is possible to have the new install pick up remnants of the old. Quick format is fine for new drives but if you want a clean drive and format on a drive that was used before, you must do a low level format before installation

3. WillPall

WillPall Thread Starter

Well, I want to thank you for your information, but I guess I should have done a little more investigating before I posted.

The registry values that I saw were in my "Frequently Used Programs" list, the one in the start menu. I had saved all the files I had on my desktop to my second hard drive so that I could restore them after I reformatted, and I guess I grabbed a few shortcuts too. Apparently, the registry treats shortcuts to programs as programs, thus the shortcuts I had to FEAR were putting FEAR into my registry as a program, even though I haven't actually installed it. Once I deleted that shortcut, the value disappeared.

PS. I also should mention that I was using TweakUI for these registry tweaks, I guess it's also possible that TweakUI adds some stuff in that may not even be in the registry. Wow, I'm just messing up all kinds of information tonight. Thanks for your help.

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

I'm not sure where you were looking in the registry, but those programs were definitely not installed as a result of being seen on a shortcut.

If you saved shortcuts from your Start menu and then recopied them after the install, they are definitely in the registry and are also on your Start menu. BUT, if you select them, they go nowhere.

5. WillPall

WillPall Thread Starter

Yes, what I stated in my PS was that I was actually using TweakUI, so I guess it just grabs what it wants to and assumes there are programs linked to those shortcuts.

And those shortcuts were not in my start menu, they were on my desktop, but they were showing up as items that could be displayed in the Frequently Used Programs list in the start menu. I guess my wording was confusing. Sorry.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe TweakUI shouldn't assume that if I have a shortcut, there is a program there too. Oh well, it was just a big ball of misunderstandings on my part.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/499280

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice