1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Leftovers of Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by janlafata, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janlafata

janlafata Thread Starter

I purchased Vista Ultimate and put it in the 6th of my 6 partition (H drive). Then I decided that I might wait and put in all new hardware for this new OS so I reformatted the drive. I thought Vista was all gone but I still get that bootup screen that gives me a choice between Vista and older operating systems. How do I get rid of all of that? I did some tinkering in the startup and recovery in System Properties in the Boot.ini file and saw a mention of Vista and deleted it. Still no luck. I also noticed something odd about Vista while I had it installed, I've got Windows XP on my C drive and data on my D,E,F and G drives so I chose to install it on H drive. Trouble is Vista chose to do it's own thing and put it's files on C drive while keeping XP on D and the other data all the same, but all moved up in order with data now on my H drive. So what the heck happened, if anyone knows!
    I had an Optical drive in XP that Windows always recognizes and gives me an extra drive, but it didn't in Vista. Could that have made a diference?

2. tlund_99

tlund_99

I am assuming you were dual booting XP and Vista.In that case when you select the Older Windows to boot it shows as the C: drive.When you boot Vista it shows as the C: drive and XP would show as your H: drive{or whatever drive you installed Vista on.)The files that control this boot process are in a folder on the XP C: drive called C:\Boot..Although you deleted the Vista partition the boot folder is still there and it ignores the XP Boot.ini file.
    I used both Vista Beta and Vista RC1 and used Vista Boot Pro to disable the C:\Boot file before I formatted the Vista partition.The easiest thing to do would be to delete the C:\Boot folder but it will not allow you to delete,rename,move or do any modification to it.
    Try Googling Vista Boot Pro and downloading it.I'm not sure it will help you since Vista is no longer installed.Be very careful with C:\Boot,if you mess it up you could end up with an unbootable computer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice