Legal .iso files and deamon tools.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tacocaster

Hey all, I'm going to be getting my first gaming rig in about a week or so. I'll be picking up a copy of HL2 and whatever else I see at the store that catches my eye. What I was wondering was if I create a .iso of the game cd and play the game from that image, will my load times be less? I'll be getting an NEC optical drive with 48x CD-ROM speed. So, from what I understand, using Deamon would be faster?

Any thoughts, opinions, flames?

Thanks in advance.

Yah it should be, I backed up my starcraft to CD and it runs much better, not to mention no more searching for CDs.

Tacocaster

Alright, good stuff. I just know Valve/Steam are very serious about their work, so I don't want to upset them.

Couriant

James
I don't know if the USC 17 law covers .ISO files on a hard drive as an archive. I will look into that. Plus I don't know if TSG supports copying CDs into .ISOs...

Also I don't know if HL2 is copyable. You may have issues with it when you connect to steam or even offline.

The downside to .ISO (or .CUE/.BIN combo) is that you need 700Mb (or 4.8Gb + if DVD version) of hard drive space per CD (like if you need 3 discs for one game).

Well once you install the game, all you need to do is image the one disc it needs to play..
Or the whole DVD..

Some games won't play if they detect virtual drives, and I think Damon tools is one they look for.

I won't say where, (that's for you to find) but you can play most games without using the CD or the image.

I don't know about Valve but I don't think Blizzard cares whether you play the game from CD or harddrive, as long as you bought it from ur local walmart they prolly don't give a **, they really gave up on starcraft :(

Tacocaster

Super-D-38 said:
Well once you install the game, all you need to do is image the one disc it needs to play..
Or the whole DVD..

Some games won't play if they detect virtual drives, and I think Damon tools is one they look for.

I won't say where, (that's for you to find) but you can play most games without using the CD or the image.
I'll poke around and see what I can find. My only concern is faster load times, thats all. From what I understand 48x ROM is great, but there are faster ways if the disc is on a virtual drive of some sort. Alcohol120% does the same thing too if memory serves me right. Thanks for the info.

EDIT* I'm not into downloading hacked games. I don't play enough of them for it to be an issue for me. I head over to newegg or the local electronics store and pick up my own legal copy.

Yeh, most game are from the hard drive anyway, they just use the disc for proof you own the game, and some use it for music and other small stuff..

Because of the hard drive install, PC's are way faster than consoles..
GTA SA on PS2, loading time, I could go get a drink.. PC load time, without the disc, like 30 seconds..

Yah i use alc, not daemon tools, and I find it much faster using an image /virtual drive than the actual cdrom drive.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online