Legal Question - DRM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ScribbleCat

Hello friends... before I attempt to ask for tech help, I thought I should first ask if my projects are legal. It appears that they are, however the copyright topic is so complicated now that I actually miss the good old days of cassettes and VHS!

I purchased and downloaded hundreds of songs/albums from Wal-Mart over the past two years. Then, the Vaio died - literally - melted on the inside from fan failure.

I burned most of the music on to various CD-R's that play perfectly and I backed up some licenses to my jump drive (but not many, since I didn't know anything about DRM until recently). When I attempt to rip the tracks from my homemade CD's, Windows Media Player naturally looks for the license, can't find it, and won't play it. This is making me insane.

Wal-Mart is very kind, and on a few occasions (after several clean install's on my old machine) they allowed me to re-download countless tracks. I can't imagine that they would now allow me to re-download 2 years of purchases, not to mention that I don't think it's appropriate for me to ask them to. I do think artists and their labels have every right to protect their work from illegal uses.

I thrive on burning new mixed audio CD's as often as my mood changes - and I'm a girl so take a guess how often that happens. I want to rip all my music back into a media player/library with the ability to burn the same tracks as many times as I wish from either of the 2 laptops I work on daily.

So, my questions are...

1. Is it legal to convert a WMA file into MP3 at all? If so, please recommend a high quality program that is user friendly and can play, store, rip, burn, etc.

2. Is my only option to convert to MP3? I don't use any type of portable player or handheld, so is there a better format that simply avoids this licensing problem?

After all, I paid for this music - isn't it mine? I feel so stupid - everyone seems to "get" this but I'm a little late on the digital music scene. This must be what all the buzz is about.

Next question, same type of problem... my 1 year old Son watches Barney and Wiggles DVD's - but I've had it with the 10 minutes of "unskippable" promo's that run before you even get to the "Play" screen. It's so irritating to stand there several times a day just waiting to hit the play button. So, I wanted to record several shows, back-to-back, onto one DVD without the ads. Lemme guess... not legal either?

Please advise... Thank you for humoring the newbie.

Cathi

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Truthfully, I still haven't sorted all the DRM junk in my mind. In your case, have you tried an application like CDEX to rip the tracks from those CD's?

As far as the DVD, bypassing the encryption on the DVD is not legal, though I had one of those disks once, and the promos are pretty irritating. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts